How to change your Surname on Indian Passport? (7 steps)

The need for changing your surname generally arises after marriage. Surnames may aslo be changed for other specific reasons .The steps are similar in case of change of surname for other reasons, but a marriage certificate will obviously not be necessary.

In order to change your surname in your passport you need to apply for reissue of passport.

The procedures for changing your surname-

Step- 1

Get hold of miscellaneous application form (Form No.II, for Miscellaneous Services). The application form is available at the Passport Office at a cost of Rs.5/- or can be downloaded from the website .

In the case you are downloading the form from the website then you must fill the form online before coming to Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).For this application form is available in the passport office. While completing an online application, in the “service desired” field, choose option ‘Reissue of Passport’. And then select the option surname in the change in existing personal particulars.

Step- 2

Get hold of all the required documents and fill the complete form with the service required as change of name. Following documents are required to be submitted along with the form-

  • Passport in original with self attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages.

In case of women applying for change of surname in existing passport due to marriage must furnish the following:

  • Photocopy of the Husband’s passport, if any, and
  • An attested copy of Marriage Certificate issued by the municipality or an equivalent affidavit with supporting evidence as joint photo, marriage card etc. (Specimen at Annexure D).

In case of Divorcees applying for change of surname in existing passport must furnish the following:

  • Certified copy of Divorce decree.
  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’)

In case ofRemarried applicants applying for change of surname in existing passport must furnish the following:

  • Divorce deed/death certificate as the case may be in respect of the first spouse, and
  • Document as at (a) above relating to second marriage.

In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish the following:

  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’):
  • Original advertisements regarding change of name in two daily newspaper, one of those advertisement should be in the daily newspaper of the area of applicant’s address or nearby area . Submit the original newspaper clippings. The application is accepted only after 30days of appearance of said notice/ads.

Step- 3

Before visiting the application centre you will have to schedule an appointment either online or by calling the passport office between 9 AM – 6 PM. The date and time of appointment at Passport office will be informed by the online system and will also be printed on the application form.In case of online submission of the form, present the original print out of the completed application form with all supporting documents at the application centre at the time of your appointment. Visit Passport office to submit the completed application form along with the fee and supporting documents , on the appointed day and time.

Step- 4

Please visit Passport office at the appointed date and time. You should arrive at RPO about 15 minutes before the appointed time and proceed to the respective counter. Online applicants do not need to obtain a token number for submitting their applications. They are not required to wait long in the queue.

Step- 5

Submit the form along with all the necessary documents.The filled-in application form may be submitted personally or through a representative having identity document and authority letter signed by the applicant as per Annexure ‘.

The above link provides the specimen of authority letter, In case you don’t want to submit the form personally, take a printout of the letter or you can even write the letter with the provided format above and fill in the with information along with your and the representative’s signature.

Step- 6

Please check the passport office for latest fee. This fee is subject to change so it’s important to contact your nearest office to determine the fee. The fee is to be paid along with the application form either in cash or by bank draft drawn in favor of Regional Passport Officer. In case of bank draft, full name and date of birth of the applicant should be written on the reverse of the bank draft.

Step- 7

Collect the endorsed passport .

You can also do the same with fresh passport but it takes longer time and a fee of Rs 1000. If you have lots of things to add in your passport, then better to go for the fresh passport.

For further information

14 Responses to How to change your Surname on Indian Passport? (7 steps)

  1. karthik July 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

    Does money required fr changng name in my new passport.

    • admin July 26, 2013 at 11:09 am #

      Yes please check,

  2. Preet August 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

    I want to chagne my wife surname in her passport, Please help in my concern..

    What kind of Documents are required Because

    1. Marriage certificate also had her old surname.
    2. School Certificates also had her old surname.
    3. My passport Wife name is blank.

    Which Document is necessary to provide them.

    Can send me email as well, It will be highly appreciated and gracefully Thankful..

    • Mallik May 16, 2014 at 8:09 am #

      Could you let me know how did you done it.

      I wants to change my Wife surname in Passport

      Documents are same like you

  3. PRADUMAN August 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

    PRADUMAN SINGH is my Passport name ,I want to add kumar as a middle name,and my all documents is showing Praduman kumar singh.what is procedure can any one help me pls.

  4. Saida September 15, 2013 at 10:48 am #

    My certificate name is SAIDA.A…I had put my surname in pass port as sainudeen.Is there any problem with that..if so pls inform me so that i can change my surname…

  5. TAHER BIN ABOOD BALISHDAQ September 21, 2013 at 4:27 am #

    dear Sir,

    hello and Good Morning

    I am TAHER BIN ABOOD BALISHDAQ , i have correction in my surname some word are missing ,( in the passport name is TAHER BIN ABOOD BALISDIQ ,) but i want to make correction in my surname , ( BALISHDAQ is correct surname ) please help me how can i make correction , i am working in Abu Dhabi , can i change my surname passport office in india , waiting your reply .if possiable Note (my surname with all in my family passports is BALISHDAQ , my daughters & Sons & wife passport )

    Regrads & Thanks

    Taher Bin Abood Balishdaq

    E-Mail Address :-

  6. raj October 4, 2013 at 12:26 am #

    my wife is u.s.a and i’ll be migrating on spouse immigrant visa. my wife has done all the flling process from u.s.a and she has used her original name( i.e her father’s name in middle and her surname before marriage) i’ve applied for reissue of my passport to add my spouse name in my passport. so how should my wife name be wriiten in passport? (i.e with addition to my name and surname or the way she has done my filing work?)

    kindly solve my query


  7. anil October 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

    in my 10th marks memo my father name is SUR BABU instaded of SURI BABU.ONE LETTER ” i ” IS MISSING


  8. SHANTHIK November 25, 2013 at 11:55 pm #


  9. RK May 27, 2014 at 6:57 am #

    I applied for name change of my spouse after the marriage. Now she would like to change her name again as per sun sign so that it can favorable for her job. So my question is

    1) Can she apply for name change?
    2) If yes, where can i affidavit the name change deed in NJ USA?

  10. kumar May 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

    hello sir
    My name is kumar yadav . But due to personal reason i have change my surname . Now my new is KUMAR KONAR . In my old passport yadav kumar is there . kindly i want to change my surname and i am single . In my new passport my name should be KUMAR KONAR . What are the document required and what is the fees for change of surname name in new passport . plz reply as soon as possible . I am waiting for your reply . If you sent me on my email that will be convenience for my . so sir , plz sent me on my email . I my id [email protected]

  11. srikanth January 22, 2015 at 9:56 am #

    In my passport my wife name is with my surname and in her passport it is with her surname… i do not wnat to get her new passport as many things are linked to it. What I should do . Does the Annexure d will give a proof that both names can be used or once you have submitted annexure d it will get updated in the passport??


  12. DEEPAK SALUNKE August 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm #

    I applied to change my surname,so i was asked to bring annexe for surname correction,local newspaper declaration,Gazette note.
    still they are not issuing my passport.
    what should i do now.

Leave a Reply