Follow the below given instructions to change your name after marriage in India:
India, being a land of diversified cultures, has one thing in common, where after marriage a women change their surnames and add their husband names. Though it is not mandatory, it is more or less like a custom that is followed. As she changes her role of life so does her name also gets changed.
In order to have it officially accepted, there are a few procedures that need to be followed. Though not complicated, when done systematically, the process gets simple and you could get the new addition at the earliest.
1. First and foremost, once the marriage is done, get your marriage registered. Once that is done, you would get you marriage certificate from the office of the registrar of office, within a period of 45-60 days.
2. In case for any other reasons you are changing your name, and require it on emergency, the alternative method is by filling out a joint affidavit stating your marriage details on a stamp paper. Along with a photograph of, the husband and wife together, this affidavit needs to be notarized to be legally valid. For notarization, a fee should be paid for each document. Once done, you have the first process completed.
3. Then you need to next change your name in your PAN card as PAN card is a very important card for any financial transactions. The process is similar to applying a new PAN card; however the only difference being that you mention your old PAN number. The new PAN card will carry the old number and the new name. While submitting the application, a copy of the marriage certificate or the gazette affidavit is required to be attached.
4. Next, update all banking relationships with the new name. Again the marriage certificate or the affidavit would be required as supporting documents to prove the reason for name change and get it transferred to the new name.
5. Changing names in a passport is very important as it is a very crucial document that is accepted wherever you go. To get the name changed in the passport, you need to apply for re-issuance of new passport along with the marriage certificate, old passport, copy of your husband’s passport, and other necessary details.
6. Then is the driving license, where the motor vehicle training institute would get it done on providing the supporting documents.
Remember to change your name on any kinds of loans, insurance documents or investments that you posses.
Once all these are tracked down and procedures followed, is easy to get the names changed and does not take much time for all these and then thereafter all your documents would be under one name. Changing surname is totally a personal choice, but by any chance you decide to change your name, make it uniform in all the documents to avoid further confusions and troubles at a later stage.