How to change your last name after marriage in India? (Step-by-Step Guide)

Follow the below given instructions to change your last name after marriage in India:

According to the custom in India, after marriage, the women changes her last name from her father’s name to her husband’s or husband family name. Though it is not mandatory, most of the women do it and in order to get it valid, the changed name needs to be documented in all her records thereafter. To make it easier, one just has to follow a few simple steps and the process would be simple to get the name changed in all the documents.

  1. The first and foremost step that is required is to obtain a marriage certificate. Now, this differs in each state across India and you need to follow the formalities as per the state you are residing in. The certificate would be obtained anywhere between 7 days to 3 months from applying.
  2. Once the marriage certificate is obtained, then you need to apply for a name change at the office of the State Government Gazette. They would include your name change and make it official through announcements through local newspapers. A copy of this advertisement could serve as a legal document for a name change.
  3. Alternatively, if you do not wish to follow this process, a Joint notarized affidavit from a public notary would suffice the purpose.
  4. Once this is done, then with these documents you need to make the necessary changes in your other documents which include PAN Card, Bank Documents, Passport, Driving license, Loans, Insurance etc.
  5. Also make necessary information’s at the Local municipality authority, residential society, children’s school and other places that needs to be updated.

Though it is not mandatory to change names after marriage, if you have decided to change names, then getting is uniformly done in all records is the best way to avoid future troubles.

One Response to How to change your last name after marriage in India? (Step-by-Step Guide)

  1. Mohammed Saalik December 16, 2013 at 12:36 am #

    I am a Muslim from J&K . And I have a registered copy of my Nikah(Marriage) issued to me by our Religious Qazi(Authorized). But, this Nikah Nama alone is not accepted by the Passport Authority of India as a valid proof of Marriage. Therefore I have few inter-related questions to ask.
    I want to know from you if I make a joint affidavit (inclusive of change of surname of my wife) in place of a marriage certificate, will it be accepted as a valid proof of “marriage and name change” in order to apply for a passport, pan card in case of my wife?
    And if it is valid, then is it necessary to change her name on her qualification certificates as well with the help of this joint affidavit or not ? Moreover, if it is not compulsory, then whether the Changed name on her Pan Card and Passport and Old name on her qualification certificates and degrees will create a conflict while applying for a job in the State or not?

    Thank You.

Leave a Reply