Follow the below given instructions to change the name and other details on your driving licence.
If a particular situation arises where you have to change the name on your driving license, do not worry. It is possible and not as difficult as you think.
The process of changing information in your driver’s license is almost the same in all countries. The process usually includes presenting proof of legal name change, providing the required documents and paying the license replacement fee.
Nonetheless, listed below are the necessary procedures in changing information in your driver’s license.
1. First and foremost, when changing the name on your driver’s license you must remember to apply personally. The applicant is also required to update the name listed in the license card within 60 days or so, depending on the law of your country regarding this matter.
2. Gather the necessary documents and your current driver’s license, a legal ID and court papers (or affidavit and Gazette Notification) proving that your name has changed. If however, you do not have documents proving your name change contact the agency responsible for issuing and renewing driver’s license and inquire about what you can present as proof of your name change.
3. Provide legal reasons why you are changing your name. If you are changing your name because you got married, provide a certified true copy of a marriage license and/or marriage certificate. If you are reverting to your maiden name, you must provide documents such as divorce, annulment papers or birth certificates. This is needed in evaluating your name renewal application.
4. Make sure that the documents you provided are in English, whether you are an American citizen or not. If necessary provide translated versions, especially in non-English speaking countries.
5. Request a name change application. Present your documents as proof of your identity.
6. Complete necessary forms and paper works required in the application process.
7. Pay the necessary fees and have a new photograph taken if required.
Points to Remember:
1. Identify what agency is responsible for the name change or license renewal application.
2. Inquire about necessary documents as well as the procedure. This way, you’ll know what you’re doing and avoid application processes with incomplete information and paperworks.
3. Make a checklist of the needed documents so you won’t forget anything important.
4. Set an appointment if necessary. Some offices and agencies prefer appointments for formality, efficiency and fast procedures as waiting lines are usually avoided with set appointments.
5. Prepare yourself for interviews. Though this procedure is not necessary, there are countries and agencies which require interviews in the application process.