Sample affidavit for legally changing your name

Here is the sample affidavit that will help you to change your name. Generally the process of changing name (from old name to new name) involves three steps (1) Affidavit (2) Newspaper Publication (3) Gazette Notification. So the first step towards changing your name is making an affidavit for changing your name.

Note: In your affidavit you have to mention carefully the specific reason or reasons for which you want to change your name. You must have a valid reason for changing your name.


Before the Notary Public, City Name


I Mr. ……………………….. S/o ………………………………… aged about ____________ yrs, resided at………………………………. Do hereby solemnly affirm and sate a follows:

1. That my recorded name in school and college is ______________(YOURNAME), but I myself popularly known as _________________(New name).

2. That after the completion of my studies I want to start a business in IT Sector. From the numerology point of view; I came to a conclusion that the business in my nickname as in the name of NICKNAME will helpful for my endeavours.

3. That by virtue of this affidavit, I changed my name from YOURNAME (old name) to CHOSENNAME (new name) and henceforth I shall be known as the CHOSENNAME (new name) for all purposes.

4. That the facts stated above are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Identified by

Advocate Deponent


Certified that the above named deponent being identified by ______________( ADVOCATE NAME), do hereby solemnly affirm his knowledge and belief.



Notary Public, CityName

41 Responses to Sample affidavit for legally changing your name

  1. shireen hasan October 11, 2013 at 10:38 am #

    i want to change my daughter’s name in her birth certificate . please suggest hw ?

    • parvez April 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

      Dear miss,

      For new name, provide them, name change affidavit, two diffrent news paper copy, and gazzated officer copy. with his origional Birth cirty.

      save ur time …!!

    • Janani September 20, 2016 at 8:37 pm #

      I want to change my son name in his birth certificate…plse suggest how to apply and where to get affidavit form…

  2. anju January 25, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

    want to change my daughter name with her new father name as i x hus was death provide format for affidavit

    • sujatha June 22, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

      can you help the name change affidavit i am a advocate if you can pl contact t this no 9945941586

      • Megha January 22, 2018 at 3:12 pm #

        Ma’am actually my name is different only in old passport but I want to change name in my passport but to day old name I don’t have any proof can it be possible to do an affidavit??

  3. K.NAMBIRAJAN January 28, 2014 at 7:39 am #

    dear sir

    in my birth certificate my name is K.NAMBIRAJ but in my all documents like shcool certificates,driving liscense and ration card my name is K.NAMBIRAJAN

    i have applied for passport they said u should have change name in birthcertificate and come again
    and i have gone to corporation office to change name in birthcertificate they said u should change name in Gazzete office

    i have name changed my name as a K.NAMBIRAJAN and went to passport office and they now asking name change affdavit and two reputed local newspaper ads now what i should do and for these how much should i pay

    waiting for ur valuable comments,



    • parvez April 8, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

      Dear sir,

      If you give gazzated copy to passport department, then not required paper add and affidavit,

      if you not given gazzated copy, then you required to attached paper add, and affidavit both.

      save u’r time..!!

      • ankit bagaria December 10, 2015 at 1:42 am #

        Dear parvez,
        I went to the passport office today with the same problem.the asked me to do all the three things namely:
        1.change of name in gazette office. add in the local present address newspaper and one in the national daily(for permanent address).
        3.10 Rs. affidavit for change of name along with the filled copy of their annexure E form

  4. Kaushik February 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

    After our marriage, we opened up an account with locker in co-operative bank with my wife’s changed name (after our marriage), but I don’t have any legal documents with that new name to submit for KYC. Bank’s clerk says that we have to submit affidavit for that. Can anybody help me what should be draft of affidavit in this case?

  5. deepthi mony June 11, 2014 at 11:45 am #

    My name in the passport states
    First name: Mony Deepthi
    Last name: blank

    I have a visa stamped on my passport based on this.

    I would like to change my name to
    First name: Deepthi
    Last name: Mony

    Would this affect my visa?

    How do I go about this?
    Or will an affidavit that says the above suffice?


    Deepthi Mony

  6. GANESH D S May 20, 2015 at 11:47 am #


  7. mahendhar reddy June 13, 2015 at 9:42 am #

    sir, In all my education certificates my name is Ramasayam Mahendhar Reddy but in my birth certificate it is recorded as Ramasani Mahendhar Reddy(correct name) and in all id proofs like adhaar ,driving license ,pan card,my name is Ramaswamy Mahendhar Reddy. so,please tell me how to change my name and suggest me with which name i should continue and how i should change in detail

  8. Ashwini July 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm #

    In my all educational document my fathers name is Manoharrao but in all my ID proof

    its Manohar now m going to join a Company as there is difference in my fathers name

    they asked me to submit an affidavit, as this is not any name change so for this what I need to do?

  9. chetan July 22, 2015 at 7:51 pm #

    Hello Sir,
    There is spelling mistake in my mother’s name in my graduation certificate issued by Pune University.
    Now I have applied for Germany work permit visa, but the officer asked me to get corrected the mother’s name in graduation certificate.
    But to get corrected the name in certificate will take lot of time. I dont have time. Is there any other way to solve this problem by doing affidavit.


  10. Pruthvik July 23, 2015 at 12:22 am #

    My name on my documents is pruthvik bhavinkumar Patel but my passport states pruthvikkumar bhavinbhai Patel so if I have an affidavit saying these two names are the same then is allright if I apply an visa application to the US

  11. reddy fairoha August 26, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

    my name is reddy fairoja, after getting the marriage i changed my name as sanzanaa reddy. totally caste also oconverted. we did not do marriage registration bcoz we have to mention old name. plz whats d process of changing my name in all certificates and govt carrds and all sir

  12. prince August 27, 2015 at 9:42 am #

    i need to change my name from prince mon to prince vincent. but there is no proof for that name.and in all my certificates its prince mon.can i get a good solution.

  13. Raja September 1, 2015 at 2:48 pm #

    Hi Sir,
    When I was studying 12th Std. my aunt adopted me. All my education certificates are on my old family name and continuing the same in my work also. Now I would like to change my family name to my aunt family name.
    What is the process to change my name in my work place, PAN and Passport.


  14. Sayed Thapa September 9, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

    Sir I want to change my initial name, what measure should be taken to change my name.
    I have a doubt that if I change my name will the school authorities hand me a new pass certificate with my New name inscribed on it or will the Old Name work for it job issues.

  15. Sayed Thapa September 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm #

    Sir I want to change my initial name, what measure should be taken to change my name.
    I have a doubt that if I change my name will the school authorities hand me a new pass certificate with my New name inscribed on it or will the Old Name work for the job issues.

  16. vishnu October 14, 2015 at 11:24 am #

    hello sir my name t.dilli babu i have completed 12th class 2015 i have to chnage my name as t.vishnu in birth certificate it is like t.vishnu n my school they have enrolled as fortune name t.dilli babu please suggest me how to change name as fast as i can from andra pradesh

  17. zain-ul-aabideen December 10, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

    in my all education and other documents mother name is Roshan, but my father, brother, and mother documents is Roshanbi. can i face any difficulties in selection on government jod/ or other please reply my answer

  18. zain-ul-aabideen December 10, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

    my spelling is mentioned wrong in birth register and it is continued up to my master degree and all id proof so it is not suiting for my proffesional i want to correct my name please sir tell what to do know…reply my answer email or moblie 9743722624

  19. mahesh vinod khivasara December 14, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

    respected sir ,

  20. tejaswi January 4, 2016 at 1:35 pm #

    hello sir.I am from andhrapradesh.actually i want apply for passport.and i completed my btech.Actually my name is Tangella Sri Kannaka Tejaswi as per inter,10th,adhar,voter card and birth certificate.but in my btech degree certificate it was named as Tangella Sri Kanaka Tejaswi.So only one letter is missing in middle name.Any problem at verification process of passport??

  21. Simerdeep Singh January 6, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

    In 10th certificate, driving license, passport, PAN card, my name is “Simer Deep”, in diploma certificate , it is “Simer Deep Singh” and in graduation certificate, it is “Simerdeep Singh”.
    Is it possible to change name for diploma and graduation certificate, without requiring affidavit, two diffrent news paper copy.
    Or is possible to change name from multiple names “Simer Deep” or “Simer Deep Singh” or “Simerdeep Singh” to either “Simerdeep Singh” or “Simardeep Singh” using single affidavit, two diffrent news paper copy.
    After changing the name, will CBSE and university issue new certificate with changed name?

  22. royce January 12, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

    Hi I just want to know if this thread is still existing because my live in partner have a very big problem regarding with her full name and some info on her birth certificate hoping for the response soon just email me thread starter thank you

  23. Arvind January 16, 2016 at 4:38 pm #

    I want to change my surname in gazzet from Arvind Damrekar to Arvind Sawant but i have not any proof for new name of Arvind sawant. how can i change it ? what type of reason are provide to change ?

    Arvind Damrekar

  24. Balaram May 17, 2016 at 12:49 am #

    I have to change my fathers name in id proofs…because in my 10th marks sheet there is name sur name for my father but in all address proofs there is a surname for my father….when applying for job they are asking ur father name different from ur educational certificates…
    so suggest how to make an affidavit for this

  25. Mandeep Gautam June 20, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    In my School Certificate my name showing Mandeep Kumar.

    But In my all address and ID proof Showing My Name Mandeep Gautam (Gautam my Surname)

  26. Nashmiya August 5, 2016 at 11:27 am #

    Hello sir,
    My Name is Nashmiya shakeel ahmed in my school and college certificate and my fathers name is Shareef ahmed khader. I want to change my fathers name as wel as my name.Nashmiya shakeel ahmed to Nashmiya shareef hamad and fathers name shareef ahmed khader to shareef hamad khader.. so could you please suggest me.
    Thank you

  27. Ella October 2, 2016 at 1:23 am #

    Dear Sir
    My name in School Records and Other Important Record is Ella Rose F. Cruz but when I get my birth Certificate my name that is written Ella Rose F. Guzman what I should do?

  28. J E A Conradie October 27, 2016 at 2:45 pm #

    I would like to add my partners surname to mine as we are living together, do not want to get married but I find it uncomfortable when introduced by my surname.

  29. chhatrapati E Pawale January 15, 2017 at 4:37 pm #

    I needful change last name becuse my family last name is paul and my all dacument last name pawale so i confussion pl suggest me.
    waiting for your valuabe answer.

  30. Dinesh dewangan February 18, 2017 at 11:52 am #

    Hello sir
    My nick is mention in all school and collage documation. So I want to change my name in all documation and I have done change my name in I’d proofs, like adhar card, pan card, licence.
    Sir plz suggest me changing my name in school and collage documation and save my time. You suggestion is very helpful about me sir. Plz contact me sir.
    Thank you sir

    • Dinesh dewangan February 18, 2017 at 11:53 am #

      My contact no is 9770198310

  31. Vivek kumar kumar August 12, 2017 at 9:48 am #

    I want to change my name vivek kumar to Aditya kumar my school name Aditya kumar but everyone know me as vivek kumar please suggest me to how can I change my name
    Mobile no:9760079528

  32. Tamanna February 4, 2018 at 4:04 pm #

    Can you say me where to go for affidavit i mean from whom will i get the certificate of name change??? I m a HS student donot know much about it

  33. Joy James February 21, 2018 at 2:48 pm #

    please my name is joy James but in my account the name is joy Agobo how do I go about this I will like to change it and my name is also very complicated in my wace certificate my name is joy Nicholas please I will need help

Leave a Reply