How to change your name legally in India? (3 easy steps)

I am a lawyer by profession, and have followed the below given procedure for changing my own name. Let me use my experience to help you to change your own name.

Follow the below given steps for changing your own name.

Step 1 – Affidavit

Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. Recently, one of my friends was going to start his own company who was locally famous in his nickname, and thus he changed his name from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Agarwal.

Note: Here is your sample name change affidavit for reference.
Tips: Make a few copies of your affidavit, and preserve the original one carefully. It’s better to scan it, and preserve its electronic copy on your external hard disk as well as on multiple computers.

This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same, you can completely change your name (both first and last name, for example from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Verma).

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.


You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only once copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. It’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.

Step 3 – Gazette Notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:
1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)

3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

  1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)
  2. The “Deed Changing Surname Form”
  3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
  4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
  5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)
  6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.


Get an A4 size envelope, put the above mentioned documents in it, and send it to the above Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

Make copies of everything and preserve them both in hard and electronic formats, for future reference.


1. Here is your Gazette Notification Format.
2. Click here to view name change deed form.
3. Click here to view the sample letter to Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State)

Within a week, after due verification, you will get a reply letter from Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State). Click here to view sample reply letter that was sent to me.

Make a few copies of the reply letter and again visit the Govt. Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette Notification and follow the below given instructions.

  1. Show them the reply letter, and they will match it with the order than they have received from the Secretariat (of your state).
  2. Deposit the required amount for the publication. Here the amount depends on the kind of publication you want to go to (General and Extraordinary.). If you go for the extraordinary one, you can get the copies of the publication within a week or two.


Once your statement is published in the official Gazette, you name change process comes to an end, and now you can enjoy your new name. Congrats!!!

Tips: Make a few copies of the Gazette Notification and carefully preserve it for a lifetime.

Documents involved in the whole process

  1. Name Change Affidavit
  2. Newspaper Publication
  3. Name Change Deed
  4. Request letter to the Secretariat
  5. Name Change Statement
  6. Reply Letter from the Secretariat
  7. Publication Money Receipt.
  8. Gazette Notification

I am eagerly waiting to read your valuable comments.

195 Responses to How to change your name legally in India? (3 easy steps)

  1. shitika November 14, 2012 at 1:53 am #

    i need to seek a lil help from u regarding name change!i m a medical student.i have just completed mbbs !now i wanna change my name before admission in pg!if i attach all my name change documents to my graduation degree !will it be acceptable?i dont have tym to get my name changed on all previous educational papers!will it create any problem if i want to pursue higher studies abroad!

    • sonal gandhi August 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

      I wanted to know is it really not possible to get the name changed in school certificates and what about in the degree that i’ll receive after completing my internship .

      • Vikash buorodia September 28, 2013 at 9:25 am #

        Please sir, give me suggetion,what process
        that i want to change my name in certificate suggetion give on my email id please now

    • PARTH MAGIA October 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

      It is advisable to get all the Previous Documents in the new name, but just to not waste time in doing so, you may get your future documents in the new name.

      I think it should not create any problem in future !

    • shaik.jaffar valli December 28, 2013 at 10:58 am #


      I Have Change my Name In Certificates And My Father Name How To Change Process Tell Me Please Sir

    • vED January 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm #


    • kirankirk January 27, 2014 at 1:47 am #

      hellow hew., even i’m looking for the same help. can you please help me how you solved your problem… m just relieving from btech as petroleum engineer., i want to change my first n last names.. please can you help me how you solved tu gt correct to all educational documents

    • jinchu February 22, 2014 at 11:27 pm #

      sir,i need to change my name as soon as possible. after changing my name, is it possible to attach the name change document with my certificate?i don’t have time to chage my all certificate.

    • G.CHINNAIAH March 14, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

      now i completed Post graduation in social work and planing to join in any private NGO but i would like to change my name (both first and last name ) so far all my certificates adhar,voter id,school certificates ets..are with my present name. my orthidox parents sugesting me to change my name acording to with my birth star/astrology so plz tell me what process needed to me for legaL procedure along with expense for all the way

      Thanking You

  2. varun March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

    Sir my name officially is varun sagar suneja in all my records . I want it to be varun suneja . Is middle name removal possible

  3. baby k. mahto March 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

    sir glad here this valuable information.
    even i wanted to change my name. i am a student. is it possible for me to change my name?
    can i use that name in my college for official use or applying job. and how much the over all expense will be? sir please suggest me

  4. Prabhakar April 2, 2013 at 9:03 am #


    I want to attach my surname to my official name.Presently my all the certificates bear only my name without any surname.

    how can i do this?

    • mahendra October 17, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

      I want to attach my surname to my native father surname is patil.& my surenmae is salunkhe Presently my all the certificates bear only my name without any surname.myself,children,wife i want change surname

      • sanjiv das December 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

        Please do the needful and suggest what to do

      • jaydeep sojitra December 28, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

        hey,have you get soltion for that????

        I also havin similar problem……….

      • RAMASHISH MISHRA January 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

        Sir ,

        i want to change my name in all my educational documents indentity froof/addres proof as well as School/college certificate,pan, adaar, voter id, dl, rc etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id.

        Thanking You

  5. Siddharth April 10, 2013 at 11:18 am #

    thanks alot for the information, now it makes ma work so simple :)

  6. Mrinal April 12, 2013 at 2:58 am #

    Its good u discussed much about the above issue. But is it possible to get your name changed in your school certificates, like your 10th & 12th class certificates, as these are sole requirements of age proof.

  7. RK April 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

    Thanks for your valuable information.
    I want to change my daughter’s name. What is the procedure?
    Basically she was born in Andhra Pradesh and residing in Bangalore from last 6 years. Her age is now 8 years. Can we do the same procedure in Bangalore? Please provide ur advice.

  8. akshita April 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

    If I change my name after passing 12th can I get It changed in my certificates as well as they are required for college admissions and jobs?

  9. saurav aggarwal April 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

    I plan to change my name . I understand the above process.

    Can the passport and pancard also be changed based on above. What about the the acaemic certificates?

  10. Sweety April 29, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

    Thanks for the useful information. I would like to change my full name. Is it possible and do let me know this entire process will take how much time. Currently I am staying abroad and working in an IT firm. Will this affect my job? After changing name, is it possible to change Passport and visa? Please reply. Thanks

    • Venkatesh September 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

      Sir i want to change my surname which is written wrong from birth certificate to till date
      Actually my surname is muram but in my birth certificate it is written B. Venkatesh and in schools, colleges written as B. Venkatesh narayan (narayan is my daddy name) and in election, ration,aadhar,driving license,pan card, land papers and in the government offices my name written as biram (nobody has biram as surname it is wrong)
      Tell me the solution do i continue with biram or i change it
      Tell me how to change my surname in government office,land papers and in school certificates.
      I don’t even have proof that i am muram can i make affidavit.

  11. Deepak May 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    Thanks to share the valuable suggestion it will really help us to do the same.


  12. hari May 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

    thanks ….This is wat the same procedure tobe followed for 7yrs old child?

  13. Janani May 6, 2013 at 3:17 am #

    Sir ,

    1. Is this the stringent procedure that has to be followed for a person to change the name (for minors as well as majors) in every state ??

    2. I just delivered my baby and registered her name in the Chennai corporation. I have her original birth certificate with me. My husband and I are not in good terms and are living separately for last 6 months. (not divorced). Now he is not approving of the name that I have kept and wants to change the name. I dont want him to do that without me knowing.. How can i stop him from doing that ???

    3. Does this legal procedure mentioned above require that both mother and father have to sign the affidavit incase of minor..

  14. Hemant Varsiney May 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

    Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

    I am willing to change my current name it to Priyesh Varsiney. I have few more queries.

    I was told that I can get it change it my 10th & 12th board certificate as well as in my B-tech degree if I approach each institute individually.

    I am presently working in a PSU. I need to know if I shall be able to incorporate it in my service file too.

    If you may help me with this ASAP

    thank you

  15. Neeraj Sharma May 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm #


    My self Neeraj I am from Mohali – Punajb 160055, My Full Name is Neeraj Bhagi Sharma

    which I want to change in Neeraj Sharma
    As your guidance, I followed all 3 steps

    But in Gazette Notification part, In Mohali – Punjab, The Gazette officer say our dept stop providing “the change in Name\ surname” long back, like in 1998,

    Please Guide me the forward path.

    Would appreciate a timely revert.. Thnx in advance

  16. Gourav May 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

    Hi, Thanks for the information
    I am working in a PSU and my home state is Rajasthan but due to my job i am living in Gujarat.
    I want to change my name
    Please give your guidance.

  17. arvinder kumar May 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

    respected sir,
    i would like to tell you that i am arvinder son’s name is Don Naphri. due to this name his classmates and teachers comment wrongly .He is just 15 years old and studying in 10th standard.He wanted to change his name from Don Naphri to Ajay Naphri.please tell me procedure for this.his name is very irritating him a lot.pls. help us out.
    thanks for guidelines
    arvinder kumar
    Don Naphri

  18. Adarsh kumar May 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

    after getting my new name can i get it changed in my educational documents also.???

  19. Srinivasa Rao Vangara May 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

    Thank you for your valuable information sir.

    My date of birth was mentioned wrongly in my SSC(Xth) certificate. I have my original DOB certificate which was issued by Municipal Corporation. I want to change my DOB in my SSC certificate. For that i need to give Gazette notification. May i know the procedure for that.
    Kindly send me the process for the above if you can able to.

  20. Anand Kumar May 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

    Dear Sir

    Please do let me know whether after gazatte notifications, the change is name should be carried out in the educational qualifications, PAN Card, passport, Aadhar card, Bank Accounts, Voter Id card etc.

    I want to add Surname, whether the same formalities will are required? If the education and permanent address is from the other state, then where the application will be sent.

    Please guide me on my email id.


    Anand Kumar

  21. Tez K May 30, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

    None of the links (click here) are working on this page. Appreciate if they can be fixed.
    btw Nice article explaining the process clearly.

  22. shravan June 4, 2013 at 7:50 am #

    hi, i would love to change my name. i’m going to usa as a business visa. but do i need a lawyer to get this done? coz i want to hire a lawyer for all this task. i’m a busy person i don’t usually have time for all these things. would you help me changing my name legally? :)

  23. Monika June 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

    thanks it is very useful information !!!
    till now i was totally confused, but your tips helped so much !!!

  24. Prasenjit June 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

    Hello Sir!! thanks for this valuable article. I’m going for name change and so I wanted to know this process is still same in 2013? or anything changed now?
    Also If I follow this process correctly, will there be any problems/conflicts scenarios in future?

    Waiting for your response.thanks

  25. Ashish June 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

    Do I have to make changes in other certificates like school and college degree??

  26. Ashish bhat June 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

    my name is ashish bhat , I am a girl -i want to change my name to ashi bhat .
    currently i am in banglore ,and i have done my education in jammu kashmir,my pass port and pan card is stamped from jammu kashmir ,Can i do this procedure from banglore .

    • suneil sharma August 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

      hi Ashi!!!!… you can do this procedure from anywhere in the country…
      you will have to visit notary first to make the affidavit for change of name n then follow the steps outlined.

  27. sampat singh June 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

    after completing whole of this process ,my name in the 10th & 12th mark sheet and certificate will still remain the the same as earlier one so how can you say that my name will be changed please reply me at my email.

  28. shravan June 20, 2013 at 7:53 am #

    hi, i recently consulted a lawyer in this process and he says ” there is no need for all this, just submit an affidevite to destrict collector, your name will be changed within 15- 30 days.”

  29. ketankumar June 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

    thanks….for sharing valuable information

  30. GYAN Dutta Bharti June 27, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

    Thank you sir. Please specify the STATE to which one would visit for Gazette Notification Format and its submission. My birth place is bihar but now i am living in Lucknow(UP) and also doing job here.
    In this case to which state i would have to visit? I would like to change my name from Gyan Dutta Bharti to Gyan Dutta Jha.

  31. Sunny June 29, 2013 at 4:21 am #

    What about my school and college certificates(Board Mark Sheets)?

  32. Elisha Joy Mackal July 4, 2013 at 4:59 am #

    What if I want to change my name from Elisha Joy Mackal to EJ Mackal? EJ standing for Elisha Joy…. I meant just putting initials… Do we have to do that too legally or we can do that without any legal procedure?

    I dont have any specific reason to do that still I wanna do that…..

  33. rohit July 10, 2013 at 8:57 am #

    wow this is so gorgeous sir but i can change my last name malviya to rajpoot is it change easily

  34. Bharat July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

    Congrats and thanks for sharing the procedure.
    I have few questions?
    1. How much time this process takes?
    2. I’m not worried about Educational certificates as there is no need to change name there. but I guess we have to further follow for change in name in voter id, adhar, passport.
    Please advice.

  35. Dayanand Doee July 14, 2013 at 11:12 am #

    sir i want to know that when i’ll change my name then all documents(all marksheets,voter id, Driv. lie. etc. ) will be change or not….??

    • admin July 26, 2013 at 11:13 am #

      Name can be easily changed on cards e.g. voter, dl, passport but its very hard to change names on your school/college certificates… but even if you won’t able to change names on these certificates it won’t create any problem. Along with your school-certificates you will always need to provide the name-change affidavit, and gazette notification.

  36. Ishita Barnwal July 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

    Hello sir,

    I need some clarification from your side. My old name was Beauti Kuamri and I have made it Ishita Barnwal. But my advocate has written in affidavit that I will be known for both the name. He has told me if I change my name completely, form Beauti ot ishita then I need to change in all the documents and because of that He mentioned in affidavit that From date …. henceforth I will be known from both the name Beauti Kuamri as well Ishita Barnwal… I am not ok with this process that two name will be acceptable or not. He has taken 1000 rs as well for name change and now according to affidavit m known by these two name. Is this process ok…

    Kindly guide me regard this. And send me suggestion on my mail id ishitabarnwal@gmail.,com

    • admin July 26, 2013 at 11:18 am #

      This process is okay, but with this process you may not change your name on your identity cards. You can change your name completely. You have to create a new affidavit before Notary Public or Before the Executive Magistrate, that I have changed my name completely… with newspaper publication and official gazette publication you can update your identity cards…

  37. mangilal July 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

    hello sir

    thanks for this valuable article. I’m going for name change and so I wanted to know this process is still same in 2013? or anything changed now? how much time takes in this process

    • admin July 26, 2013 at 11:07 am #

      Hello! Yes the process is still same.
      Affidavit – 1 Day
      Newspaper Publication – 2 Days
      Publication in the Official Gazette – 15-45 days

  38. Shreya July 29, 2013 at 12:40 am #

    Hello! I’ve changed my maiden name (Saima Altaf Shaikh) to after marriage name (Shreya Rahul Ketkar) through gazette and an affidavit.

    Somehow I’m not comfortable with my new name. Can I change it again to Saima Rahul Ketkar?

    Kindly help me.

  39. Gaurav Singroha August 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

    hi sir,

    I want to Add my surname with my name. presently its gaurav and i want to add singroha with my name as its required for business communications.
    i’m from haryana but working in pune..please help me out. is it possible to start the procedure from pune or do i have to follow above steps from my home town in haryana.


  40. Syed Imran Ahmed August 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm #


    Thanks for the informative article.

    There is difference in spelling in my surname in SSC marks sheet to higher mark sheets like diplom, degree and post graduation papers.

    The spelling of my surname in SSC and other documents is not the same. like in SSC its SAYYED and in remaining documents its SYED

    The mistake is carry forwarded from HSC onwards.

    Should I go for change in name and how should I make an affidavit.
    Please guide me.


  41. Pyarelal August 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

    My father changed his name and his name appears in all my documents do I need to get it changed in my documents too ?

  42. Arun Kumar August 7, 2013 at 11:39 am #

    I am Arun Kumar. I want to add my surname. AS It appears from the above comments, it is very difficult to change name on academic certificates. I want to continue with my name Arun Kumar in certificates but for publishing some papers, I want to add my Surname suffix to my name Arun Kumar (Arun Kumar Gumber).

    Is it possible that somebody can survive with two names i.e. Arun Kumar & Arun Kumar Gumber.

    Plz reply

    • sanjiv das December 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

      Please suggest that the above person can add his surname as Gumber

  43. aaron August 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

    i want to know to change my name from aron khan to aaron crasto

  44. SHILPA August 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

    My maiden name is Shilpa R. Talekar and without any notification after marriage my husband added my new name Riddhi R. Naik in ration card. Now after divorce and gazette notification from Riddhi R. Naik to My Maiden Name Shilpa R. Talekar. I wanted to change all my relevant document like my Bank pass book, Pan Card, and ration card. How will i get it done. Please guide me.

  45. SHILPA August 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

    My Bank and Pan Card Executive asking how you change your name after marriage from Shilpa R. Talekar to Mrs. Riddhi Roshan Naik. I submitted my gazete notification and divorce degree at both office But they are not proceeding with the above document submission. At 2003 my marriage happened at that time the name changes on ration card document the gazete notification will be not done at that time.

  46. Dr. Modala Venkateswarlu August 12, 2013 at 11:20 am #

    Respected Sir,

    My both the grand son and grand daughter are US citizens by birth. They are six months old and they are staying with me along with my daughter in Bangalore. Now my daughter wants to change both of their names. Please guide me leglly what she has to do.

    Their old names.
    1. Jangala Rishi
    2. Jangala Riya

    My daughter wanted to change them as following:

    1. Modala Seetharam
    2. Modala Nirbhaya Bharathi (Modala is my daughter’s sur name and Jangala is her husbands sur name who is not coming now to her at all).
    Please guide us the proper way.

    Thanking you very much,

    sincerely yours

    Dr. Modala Venkateswarlu
    #23, 2nd Cross, CSB Lay out
    Kasavana Halli, Bangalore-560035
    Mobile: 09886233731
    Phone: 080-28439406

    • Santosh October 24, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

      Hi Dr. Modala Venkateswarlu,

      Call me in this regard : 09833520083


  47. Chaitanya August 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

    Sir, If I just want to add my family surname to my exsting name, do I have to go through all the steps? In passport, they don’t ask for the gazette notification. Is it absolutely necessary, or just an affidavit and newspaper publication would do?

    One of my friends just added a surname in his id cards and company ID, and he was not asked for the gazette notification.

    Kindly help!!!

  48. tapin thakur August 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

    please proivide me this full content for name change full name to my email id highly thankful

  49. chanderkant Gautam August 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm #


    I want to attach my surname to my official name. Presently my all the certificates bear only my name without any surname.

    how can i do this?

  50. Rohit August 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

    My native place is UP. But currently I am posted in Chennai due to my job. Is it possible to undertake name change process in Tamil Nadu?

  51. Anitha August 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

    Dear sir,

    I want to change my name, as I am basically born and brought up in Bangalore and now settled in Chennai kindly let me know the procedure to do the same.

    Note. I do not have a copy of my birth certificate is it possible?

  52. abhishek August 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

    I do not have a surname in my documents , it was a mistake in class 10th document I want to get my surname added, so is this procedure applicable for me also.I want to go for studies abroad and there if you do not have a surname added it creates a problem.So I want to get my name added with my surname. Or is there a different procedure for the same.

    • Pankaj September 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

      Dear Sir,

      I also have same problem as abhishek have. I also don,t have surname in all my academic documents and I also have passport with only single name but I heard that if you are looking for higher study in abroad so problem will come at the time of visa. Some countries create problem due to only single name. So I am trying to add my surname in all my documents and passport also.For this I have contact to passport office so they are saying make a affidavit and publish in two news papers and submit affidavit and newspaper cutting your name will change. so in this only two steps are covered so what about third step. other side when I asked from any layer they are saying make a affidavit and submitted to gazette office and your name will change. please help me out which one is correct and best way to follow to add my surname so that in future I will not face any problem.

  53. Geet August 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

    Hi admin, its great I want to change my name, I am from Gurgaon.and very sorry I dint understand what you said, but i want your consultancy as you are lawyer. Please help me out as soon as u get this post.i need it urgently. Please reply me on my gmail id i have provided.


  54. shantanu August 28, 2013 at 9:41 am #

    hello sir ,
    I am final year student i have not used my sur name in my all official documents since 10th grade , now i want to change my name from shantanu to shantanu singh ,
    i want to know after all legal proceedings of changing name how can i get my new name registered on old documents?

  55. sapna das August 31, 2013 at 11:19 am #

    I wanted to change my daughters surname as i am divorcy.

  56. ruchita September 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

    i am the resident of Rurkee , Uttranchal. Now a days i ma working in Delhi. I want to change my name. please guide me , i need to publish in the Delhi news paper or Rurkee News paper. Second I need to submit the affidavit in Delhi or Rurkee. Third please give me the format of Name Change Affidavit.


  57. vinod rawat September 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

    Sir my name officially is Bahadur singh in all my records . I want it to be Vinod Rawat . Is removal possible

  58. Reshma September 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    Thank you.. your information is so useful. But one thing i need to ask wither this publish gazette notification is important? without diong this the name change procedure will not complete????

    Plz reply me for this

  59. Rudra Kamal September 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

    Sir, I am very much thankful to you for above information.As you mentioned that you are a lawyer by professional.So,sir i want to know that I changed My name from Dalan sahu(old) to Rudra Kamal Sahu because i am not very much comfortable with my old name.

    According to your information i made the affidavit from Public notary and also publish the name in local news paper,but i am not able to get information how can i publish my name in government gazette press.So, sir i want that give me information about government gazette and i have still confusion on that i don’t want to change my name in certificates of 10th,12th and is there any problem on this in future as i am just passed out from and continue with this name in future official purpose.

    Do reply sir on my email id and thanks again for above details.

  60. Rudra Kamal September 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

    Dear sir

    Is it doing in delhi gazette office or any state and whom i make my witness for this purpose really confusing all this stuff and no information on this plzz consider this problem and need an urgent reply…….

  61. Surya September 6, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

    HI , Superb….

    But i have a doubt, I had studied in Andhrapradesh (AP), have ration card and Voter Id at AP.
    Now i am living at Chennai Tamilanadu (TN). May i can change name in Chennai (TN). Or I can “Only Change Name” in the AP.

    I need your Contact

    yours Faithfully…………………….

  62. C L Bhatt September 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm #


    My former name CHUNNI LAL BHAND , I want to change my name from CHUNNI LAL BHAND to C L BHATT in future for any purpose kindly help me & change the name.

    • Ishita September 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

      Hello sir,

      Thank you so much for your valuable time and information. I have one doubt that Deed form, how to get ?. Problem is my native place is north and m in south. Is it possible to get Gazette notification done from south. Kindly let me know how to solve it. M completely stuck with this process.

      • Ishan October 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

        when i went to Gazette, delhi office, i saw some people from south.
        they specially came for gazette publication.
        you should phone delhi office and ask their opinion
        here is the contact information of delhi office:

  63. Ishita September 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

    Hello Sir,

    Thank you so much for your valuable response and time. I have one doubt that what is Deed form and how to get it? The problem is M from North and staying in south. Is it possible to get Gazette notification done form south. M completely stuck with the process. Kindly guide me for the same.


  64. Shailesh September 16, 2013 at 10:57 am #

    My name in all my official documents is “Sailesh” and I want to change it to “Shailesh”. Can I get it done in any state or I have to go back to my State of Birth?
    What are probable problems I will be facing after change of name?

  65. kiran reddy karka September 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

    Hi Sir,

    i am kiran reddy karka resident of hyderbad,last year i have suffixed reddy to my name and now it is read as kiran reddy karka. i have published in official gazette notificaion last year it self but i hvn’t published in local newspaper’s now i need the information regarding how to change my new name in all document like voter id,driving license, adhar card etc. please let me know the process as soon as possible

    thanks & regards.
    Kiran Reddy Karka

  66. Neha Sharma September 23, 2013 at 10:10 am #

    Hello Sir,

    My Name is Neha Naren Sharma.
    I have a daughter of 10 yrs old. She is with me.
    I want to change my name. Naren is my husband’s name.
    I dont want to change my Surnam. Just want to remove husband’s name.
    Is that possible. Can my husband take any action against that.
    Does law allows us to keep the last name as it is,
    What is the procedure to change it. Please let me know.


  67. Neha Sharma September 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

    I am Neha Sharma.
    I am a divorcee and have a daughter wiht me.
    I just want to remove my husband’s name and keep the rest as Neha Sharma.
    Can I do that.
    Will my husband take any legal action against that.
    Is there any such provision available which is leagal.
    Please advice


  68. Niraj Vishwakarma September 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

    my name is Niraj Vishwakarma, currently I am working in software company after completion of MCA and now I want to change my name as Neeraj Shree.

    Please advice


  69. Ravi kumar September 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

    Few words are missing in My surname. I need to change, please advise me.




  70. sarita halge September 30, 2013 at 11:13 am #

    dear Sir,

    i want to change my son name because his full name is currently Rudraksh Gupitling Kokane, I want to change his name & continue to my name like Durvesh Sarita Halge.

    is there in possibility to continue with my name, please guide me for the same……..

  71. Irfan September 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm #


    My Name is IRFAN BASHA SHAIK. I have completed M.Tech, but my name is misspelled i.e IRFAN BASHA SHAIKH extra H was added at end. My all documents from 10th to B.Tech and Passport has spelling IRFAN BASHA SHAIK.
    If I apply for a visa, is this cause any problem.

    Please help me, how to proceed with this problem.

    Thanks in advance.

  72. Pankaj October 2, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

    Dear Admin,

    I would like to change my name from PANKAJ to PANKAJ SAHLOT. I am basically from Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh and currently I am studying, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
    As right now, I am in Ahmedabad so I am thinking to complete this process from here it self. But I am facing problem because many people are confusing me. So I need your help to solve my some queries.
    1. Should I give my permanent address (Ghaziabad, U.P) or residing address (Ahmedabad, Gujarat) in Affidavit or both?
    2. Should I publish in Ghaziabad news paper or Ahmedabad or Both ?
    3. Should I publish an advertisement in U.P gazette office or Gujarat Gazatte office or both.
    Please give your precious time and suggestion so that i can take best decision and never face any problem in future.

    Thanks in advance

  73. koteswararao October 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

    hi sir …..
    my actual name is venkatakoteswararao.
    then my 10th class to mba i use koteswararao . so austrologically isnot good for my fait. even adhar card also same name how to change my name in this circumstances.

  74. Rahul Singh October 7, 2013 at 6:48 am #

    Thank you sir. Please specify the STATE to which one would visit for Gazette Notification Format and its submission. My birth place is uttar pradesh but now i am living and also doing job here.
    In this case to which state i would have to visit? I would like to change my name from kirti singh to karthik singh or kirat Singh . plz give me answer this

  75. Sushil Nagar October 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

    My Name is Sushil Kumar Birla. But at the time of school my name changed Sushil Nagar by mistake . So now i change my name. Plz help to me how to change my name

  76. anuj October 10, 2013 at 12:00 am #

    Sir i am pursuing my degree i want to change my name is it possible to change the name in 10 and 12 marks card too wether it will effect in getting job afterwards nd how much amount is needed for this kindly help thanks in advance :-)

  77. lakshmilal lohar October 16, 2013 at 12:21 am #

    I wanted to know is it really not possible to get the name changed in school certificates and what about in the degree that i’ll receive after completing my internship .

  78. lakshmilal lohar October 16, 2013 at 12:24 am #

    I wanted to know is it really not possible to get the name changed in school certificates and what about in the degree that i’ll receive after completing my internship course /degree.

  79. S.Ganesan October 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

    Thanking You sir.

  80. S.Ganesan October 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

    I Need to change my name from S.Ganesan to N.S.Siva Ganesh.

    Thank you for your tips.

  81. venkat October 25, 2013 at 8:48 am #

    hai sir.

    thank you for your wonderful suggestion.
    can you please me to change my name? my name has been mentioned with different names in different certificate like mark-sheet, Adhara card, voter id etc. now I want to change into one name. please give your suggestion.

  82. Chintan October 25, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

    My situation is quite complicated. My name is Chintan R Sakaria and I was born on 26th February 1993. All my school records and identity cards like DL, Aadhar, Voter ID are in the same name. I was born in Chennai and the name in my birth certificate is mentioned as Chirag R Jain. (My parents later renamed me Chintan). I need to change my name in the birth certificate for getting my passport. I am 20 year’s old now and I have lost my original birth certificate, but I do have a Xerox copy of it. I currently stay in Bangalore. Could anybody guide me through the process of changing names in the birth certificate. Tell me 1) how should I change my name in the birth certificate 2) Get a new birth certificate in the changed name

    • Mathan MP October 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

      Hi Chintan,

      Have you got the solution for your case?

      Mathan MP

  83. Naveen October 30, 2013 at 11:40 am #

    Hello sir,

    My name is very lengthy. I want to make it short. can you please help me in this. this process is still work in Andhrapradesh?… how much time it will take? Plz help

  84. ANAND November 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

    Hi Sir,
    My name is anand and i have just completed my mca and i got job in a good company but the problem is that i donot have any surname with my name and in my all documents right from my 10th to till mca marks cards anand is my name also i have prepared my govt id’s like passport,adhar card, driving liecence,and pan card all these places my name is written as just anand but my company people have told me that they want some surname with my name so what to do since i belong to a singh family i want to make it as anand singh will it be possible to do it suggest me what to do for this

  85. jitendra dwivedi November 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

    in my all document my name is jitendra kumar dwivedi but i want to remove my middle name and want my name jitendra dwivedi is it possible or not please help me

  86. Arpita Sarkar Goon November 12, 2013 at 11:50 am #

    Hello Sir,
    My name was Arpita Sarkar before my marriage and after marriage I changed it Arpita Sarkar Goon by making an affidavit. Now my new passport, Pan Card and all the bank documents are having my new name as Arpita Sarkar Goon, but while applying for Voters Card they are telling me that this is not possible I should have kept my maiden name Sarkar in braces after Goon. So it should be Arpita Goon (Sarkar). Is it true? Can’t I keep my name the way I did?And the way it is appearing in all the other document.
    Kindly reply.

  87. Satyadarshi November 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

    Dear Sir,
    I need your advise on ‘adding the last name’ to the name of my son.
    His name is Aviral and want to add Singh to it … now I have sworn an affidavit for same and got this published in two news papers also. He is pursuing the BE from VTU so his name should be changed in university records as well. College authorities are not clear of the procedure. They have asked the 10 marks card and on the basis of that they will change that. In this case they are telling that the marks card of 10th should also have this change. I’m confused that how is it possible when the adding of last name has taken place now? Kindly guide on this.

    Thanks in advance.


  88. Manjeet Singh November 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

    I wanted to know is it really not possible to get the name changed in school name has been mentioned with different names in different certificate like mark sheet,voter Id,adhara card now I want to change in to one name .plz give me your suggestion.

  89. mani gupta November 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

    Hello sir..
    My name is Mani Gupta. I am resident of Mumbai, Maharashtra.
    I want to change my first name to Manish from Mani.
    What is the procedure?
    I have already read ur above experience.
    But I have got some doubts.
    Like in affidavit what reason I should mention. Because I dont have any deescrepancy in my name. I want to change just for my all friendsand also relatives call me Manish, though my all documents have Mani. Even I am more comfortable with Manish.
    Please guide.

  90. vijay November 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm #


    Here I Vijay Meghani, I want to change my grandfather name in my father school leaving certificate but in other document like pan card, bank statement, election card, light bill, tax bill etc, my grandfather name is right but in my father school leaving certificate is wrong so please give some tips to correct it.

    Vijay Meghani

  91. kislay kishu verma November 26, 2013 at 3:00 am #

    I want to change my name from “KISLAY KISHU VERMA” to “VIKRAM SHRIVASTAV”. Is it possible ! As i have passed 10th and 12th and my name is registered in certificate,
    please reply soon

  92. Raam November 26, 2013 at 8:08 am #

    I have changed my name while i was doing my b.e. 3rd year. now i have completed my b.e. but all my certificates in b.e. are in my old name. but my proofs are all in new name including passport. when i went to my university to change my name in the entire mark sheets. they refused to do that. they said “only the mark sheets issued after the gazette publication can be changed”. what shall i do now.? if i do that 5 of my semester marksheets in old name and rest will be in new name. else shall i give the consolidated and provisional, degree only, without giving the last three sem marksheets?. is this a correct decision? else i leave all these and keep all including my degree in the old name?. please reply……

  93. Joy November 28, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

    Sir, Can I change the old certificate with new name.. I got my gazette… How I change leaving certificates?

    • ram December 6, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

      Hey..! joy will you please tell me a full procedure of that how you have made your gazette copy….??

  94. Rajeev Kumar V December 3, 2013 at 12:58 am #

    In my school certificates and in all certificates my last name is just Initial only, i.e Rajeev Kumar V, S/o Ranga Vera V, actually V mean verma, I used Verma in some times for compleate name, but I want to change that V as a Veera, how it is posible. nobody knows legally what is my last name, can I change as per I required.

  95. Mirza Fasahath Ali Baig December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

    My name is Mirza Fasahath Ali Baig. In my SSC certificate my name is printed as only Fasahath Ali Baig and in all certificates my name is correct. i.e Mirza Fasahath Ali Baig. can i submit passport application with name change affidavit and newspaper publication for change of my name from “Fasahath Ali Baig” to ” Mirza Fasahath Ali Baig”.

  96. Nitin December 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

    could you give me information to enrolled with gazette notification, and their contact address in delhi.

  97. goodjackjill December 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

    If we want to change our name after passing X and XII class, do we need to change the certificates or only the publication and gazette notification would do it?

  98. samir December 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

    In my school,college certificates and in all certificates ,my surname have wrong spelling. now i want to apply for passport with correct spelling. so what should i do? can i do spelling correction in my leaving certificate?

  99. V.S.Pavan Kumar December 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

    Hello, Sir !I’m a teenager with 17 years of age.My current name is V.S.Pavan Kumar and I have passed out of 10th standard(Matriculation Board) and as well as 12th standard (Matriculation Board) in Chennai.Right now,I’m doing my first year in B.A.Economics in a college in Chennai.I’m wanting to change my name from V.S.Pavan Kumar to V.Pavan Reddy.The problem I have is whether if I change my name to V.Pavan Reddy,will it also change in my 10th and my 12th certificates and if it doesn’t ,will it affect my educational career in the future when I apply for a P.G. course in a foreign university and due to such problematic changes will it also affect my application for a passport(currently I do not have one). Please reply to the following e-mail address : and please give me a detailed explanation whether my name change will or will not affect my future.Thank You.

  100. Mehul December 18, 2013 at 12:31 pm #


    i have spelling mistake in my father’s name in each mark sheet and leaving certificate. as i want to apply for passport, what should i do before i apply for passport autority.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance.



  101. narasimha December 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    my name is Narasimhamurthy G M, i am a govt employee i want to change my name to Gopi Simha, is there any problem in future, is it possible to change my name in all documents please guide me

  102. neelam December 20, 2013 at 9:19 am #

    i had passed my matric and intermediate exam beforte marriage, and my name on certificates is mentioned as neelam kumari. After marriage i passed my graduation, and without any affidavit I simply put my name with husbands surname in the exam form,, and I got my graduation certificates with new surname as neelam singh.
    I have been working as a govt teacher since last 2 years.

    Now the employers are objecting this change in surname .I had not obtained any affidavit even at the time of surname change.

    now please guide me how to get out of this problem.

  103. moon December 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm #


    If we want to change our name after passing X and XII class, do we need to change the certificates or only the publication and gazette notification would do it?

    sir please reply …

  104. SANNARAJA H K December 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

    I am a Karnataka state government employee, now i want to change my name in all my departmental documents as well as pan, adaar, voter id, dl, rc etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures..

    Thanking you,

  105. prashant December 30, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

    hi sir please tell me. i’m in patna (bihar). i want to change my total name. for whom should i contact in patna?
    please reply me on my mail or contact me on my nmbr 918083735807
    thanking you!

  106. Mohammed January 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm #


    Once we change the old name to new name, after few days, is it possible to get the old name back again.

    Thanking you

  107. karthigeyan January 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

    Sir my name is karthigeyan@manickam in all the records I want to change my name as only karthigeyan.

  108. nawabi January 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

    Hello , I am not resident of India and the country I live in does not approve of name change from Indian embassy here.
    I want to book a lawyer who will do all the procedure for me in India on my behalf as I am residing in an other country.
    Pls advise which lawyer can do this for me . Thank You

  109. sangmeshwar ainapure January 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

    I have complited my degree in engg. but now I want to take pg with different name so I need to know can it create any problem with me coz my degree certificate name and pg name is not matching.

    plz tell me in detail how can I change my name bcoz I live in taluka level

  110. Aravind Gilkinja January 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

    Very nice post. It cleared my doubts regarding changing the name. And what if i apply for the passport after changing my name?

  111. Popat January 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

    Thank You Sir, Very valuable information, How to change the names on 10th and 12th, degree certificates after gazeete publication ,can we change with new name.

  112. P Mohammad Akram January 16, 2014 at 12:31 pm #


  113. P Mohammad Akram January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm #


    My self P Mohammad akram and am from andhra pradesh state i have a small problem regarding my sons birth certificate as am a belongs to indian muslim syed but my aunts writen my initial as P at the time of joining in school so all my certificate and aadhar and passport voter id is having a initial P now its ok then i have a baby boy and his name is syed mohammad arfan Roshan so hear the initial is S in his birth certificate no i have question to u sir is it any problem …. my initial is P and My sons initial is S so advice me if i want to change my sons initial to P or leave it as S as per my caste my sons initial is correct what can i do for not getting any problem in any legal matters…

  114. Puneeth January 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

    Hi sir,
    My name is Puneeth.R from karnataka. I wana change my name as Jeevan Sagar.. I was read what u given useful information to everyone.. Sir please let me know how to change name in all documents voter id, aadhar, DL, PAN card, Bank accounts & etc… please reply. Warm Regards,

  115. THARANATHA January 17, 2014 at 11:41 am #

    now i want to change my name in all my documents as voter id, dl, school & collage certificate
    ., is it possible and let me know the procedures..

    Thanking you,

  116. R.K. LEELAA KRISHNAN January 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm #


  117. Arvind January 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

    As i follow all the steps you described for change name i.e i have chqange my name from arvind to arvind tewatia.
    i am successfully does all the things & now i have 3-4 government Ids(voter id,passport,pan card,etc).
    as in my educational qualification still my name is arvind.
    please suggest….

  118. surya January 25, 2014 at 12:55 am #

    I my name is Surya and I was adopted by a person name venkat raju all my identities are with his surname before my name and s/o venkata raju. and my biological father name is Prasad raju do I have any option in law to change my name with my biological father’s surname and as Surya s/o Prasad raju….? plz help me out with available way.

  119. Umapathy January 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

    Dear sir,
    I have wrongly given my wife name in passport now my passport has expired
    I need to renew and give correct name of my wife in passport what is the procedure. Kindly help me

    • Lalit Kumar Sharma February 8, 2014 at 11:20 am #

      Dear sir,

      Thank You for Your Wonderfull Suggwstion.
      can you please me to change my name ? my name has been mentioned with different names Adhaar card,voter id in my name Lalit Kumar & my Rashan card in name Lalit Kumar Sharma & my Son & Daughter Certificate Adhaar card in sur name is “Sharma ” & my LIC,P.F.ESI, official name , pan card in name is Lalit Khandelwal Pls Suggestion me .
      now i want to change name Lalit Kumar Sharma in all my documents Voter id,Adhaar Card,Pan card,Lic,P.F, bank account.etc. it possible and let me know the produres..
      i am change my name new ( Lalit Kumar sharma ) my old name( Lalit khandelwal )

      With Regards

      Thanking You

    • Ravi Shankar February 9, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

      sir , i am in class 11 .i want change my name ravi shankar to raghav chandra .my 10 class certificates bear ravi shankar can it be change.please help me sir. send the procedure on my email id please.

  120. SWETANK January 26, 2014 at 7:14 pm #

    sir, after changing my name will it be changed into my 10th 12th marksheets. if so, please tell me the procedure.

  121. Subha January 27, 2014 at 11:05 pm #


    I had changed my spelling in the gazette during my UG but i did not publish it in the newspaper after that I have done my PG providing my old spelling to all certificates, pancard and bank account.
    Now I wish to apply for passport in my old spelling.Will this be an issue ?

    Kindly clarify my doubt.

  122. pragya Bhattacharjee January 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

    I want to give my baby my surname along with her father’s surname. is it legally possible? we are Bengali…plz inform me…

  123. Vedavati February 2, 2014 at 11:44 am #

    Thank you for sharing the information
    One want one clarification. In my case , “initial is wrongly.added and surname is not written” in a document. To do the correction, the concerned office is asking for gazette notification. Whereas I am not looking for any name change.
    what should be done to confirm that I am the same person? Please suggest.

  124. mahesh February 4, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

    sir my name is masu murlidhar sonwane and i want to change my first name only thats mahesh.and i want my documents of s.s.c. h.s.c. and with name mahesh. so how can i do this plz give me your advice…..

  125. Geeta February 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

    Hello sir,
    My full name is Geeta Nain, but I never used my surname in any document so only geeta is there in all Ids(Passport, pancard, aadhar card etc. ) . but in my Highschool marksheet they add KM with my name , here Km stands for Kumari. and after that in all degree and markshheets upto postgraduation name is written KM GEETA. now I want to apply for higher studies, they want surname and first name both. what should I do now?..should i change my name in passport and all Ids as GEETA NAIN ?..if yes, then also it will not match to my name (KM GEETA) written in all markshheets and Degree. or should I change my name in passport and all Ids as(KM GEETA)? but then also I will have to write my full form of name (that is Kumari Geeta)..will it be acceptable ???.but still no surname is there..:(..sir plz help me ..m in bigg trouble

  126. abdul February 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

    Dear Sir
    This is Abdul Ayyas, name of abdul ayyas is on my all documents.I want to change my name likeMohammad Ayaz.would be any problem for going to abroad.
    Please waiting for your positive reply.


  127. mahesh February 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

    I Mahesh changed my name from
    after giving affidavit and request letter.
    today ( feb 12, 2013 ) i received Gazette Notification, in that a full list of persons who have changed their names and my name also printed on that but there is an another spelling mistake,
    it comes from SANCHALANI MOHAN to SANCHALANI MAHESH (instead of Chanchalani Mahesh) so
    what should i do please reply me as its very hurry for me to change my name to open PAN,UID,Voter ID Passpost all of are pending , plz comment.

  128. Anil February 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

    Hello Sir,

    My name is ANIL KUMAR but i want to change this means my sir name THAKUR instead of KUMAR. i would like to know that is it compulsory to change name in all my previous qualification or other document ? What will i get in the end of this process means any type of CERTIFICATE from the authority which will who and how much time will be taken by this process and whats issues can rise in future regarding this. so please you are requested to help me . Thanks.

  129. Suarchala February 14, 2014 at 10:37 am #

    Hello Sir,

    My daughter is just 3 moths old n I have got birth certificate for her. But now want to change her name. Do I have to follow same procedure for name change or some different ??

    Pls reply…

  130. Ashwani February 16, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

    i followed the three steps written and got my name changed in my passport. now i wanna apply abroad for P.hd. For that i need to change my name in my qualification certificates like 10th 10+2 and higher.
    Sir please tell me the further procedure to change the old name in the qualification certificates.
    Thanking you.

  131. Sulinder kumar February 18, 2014 at 4:48 am #

    hello sir please help me sir I live in Europa last 10 year now I decied I waana change my name India I want remove my old name put new name in my all docoment passport or all document but I dont no where I can start please let me know sir I come from Haryana

  132. Yugesh February 18, 2014 at 11:13 am #

    Kindly elaborate the procedure to be followed after attaining Gazette notification. I wish to know more about the verification part. Is verification very essential? I belong to Andhra Pradesh state(united).

    • rahul sharma February 27, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

      sir im from jammu kashmir
      please tell me i have to send it to secretary department of commerce and transport or the revenue department.thanks

  133. Ramgopal February 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

    Dear Sir,
    Please help,
    My Surname is not currect in my all scholl/collage cirtificate and now i m doing job so now how we can cange my surname in my school/collage cirtificate and PAN Card & Licence.


  134. Vithal February 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm #


    As per my knowledge Karnataka govt is not published gezzate notification name change pvt sector employees .
    And how to get gezzate notification?


  135. Ravikumar February 22, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

    sir/madam, my name till 8th class was Ravi, from 9th to pg my name is Ravikumar,

    so will it be problem for getting govt job? (will they make inquiry)

    if yes, then what is the solution?

    please please please reply me as soon as possible cause i have only 20 days to get appointment letter.

    thank you.

  136. jinchu February 22, 2014 at 11:32 pm #

    sir ,
    i need to change my name. after changing ,will it applicable to attach name changing document with my previous educational and other certificate?i don’t have to time for change my it possible sir.

  137. MUSTAFA GANDHI February 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm #


    soon i’m going to represent India in an international robotics tournament at canda. my passport has the following name with spelling error :- MUSTUFA GANDHI and my school and tournament certificate + registration have the following name :- MUSTAFA GANDHI so can you please tell me a procedure for changing name as fast as possible. i have around 2 months.

  138. Srikant February 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

    Hello Sir,
    I am looking for name change as i have only one name (no surname) in my educational docs.

    1. Do I need to initiate this process like publishing in news paper etc from my native place ?
    2. Once name change is done, do i need to change the name in my all educational certificate also?

    It will be great if you can share your any contact no so that I can reach out to you for further assistance in this regard.

    Thanks a lot in advance !!

  139. Sandeep Kumar February 25, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

    Hello sir,
    My full name is Sandeep Kumar Choudhary , but I never used my surname in any document so only Sandeep Kumar is there in all Ids(Passport, aadhar card etc. ) . but in my Pan Card and and driving licence name priniting is SANDEEP CHOUDHARY . As My name mention in the pan card all my A/c showing my name is Sandeep Choudhary . Please guide me how to change my name or shall I only change my name in the pan card .

  140. Sangmeshwar February 25, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

    plz help me from initial step i want to change my name…

  141. bharath February 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

    Sir, I am adopted to my relatives. I want to change my surname and father name. Is this process helpful to change both my name and my father name, please suggest me by my mail address 《》

  142. hazima February 25, 2014 at 11:43 pm #

    i want to change my name in all my educational documents indentity froof/addres proof as well as School/college certificate,pan, adaar, voter id, dl, rc etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id.

    Thanking You

    • Sreelekha Unni March 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

      Hello Sir,

      My daughter is studying in 4th Standard And i have got birth certificate & Aadhar Card for her. But now want to change her name. .Please reply the procedures in email

      Pls reply…

  143. Pankaj kumar February 26, 2014 at 7:53 am #

    Sir,i want to change my name because of my habit of stammering while speaking my name…after following the above procedure how can i change my name in 10th,12th,my degree all marksheets..i am 25 years old.. and while attending any job interview,i block on my name in starting,though i can speak almost every word easily as a normal person who doesn’t stutter..plz help me how can i change my name in my document as soon as possible

  144. Ram February 28, 2014 at 11:22 am #

    I am a US citizen of Indian origin returned to India a year ago and wishing to apply for a OCI card. The problem is my Last Indian passport bears the name that I used in India and the US passport carries the name that I used in the US. I believe that I can change my name officially to the US name by following the procedure you suggested. But my question is since I an a foreign citizen, does India government accept such a name change for OCI requirements; or do I have to get a name change court order from the US? Please respond to

  145. Gadhavi Yash February 28, 2014 at 11:33 am #

    sir my name is Gadhavi Yashbut in my school and collage’s mark sheets and leaving certificate name is Gadhvi Yash is there is any procedure to modified my name and 21 year old.and i want ti apply for an paasport.

  146. Gadhavi Yash February 28, 2014 at 11:34 am #

    sir my name is Gadhavi Yashbut in my school and collage’s mark sheets and leaving certificate name is Gadhvi Yash is there is any procedure to modified my name and 21 year old.and i want ti apply for a paasport.

  147. Chhatu Singh March 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

    i am a central Govt employee working in UP (home state Rajasthan). as u see my name doesn’t bear any meaning and hard to pronounce and understand, in interviews, in meetings and in general conversations it causes unease to Qs are
    1. Is it possible to completely change name for Govt employee?
    2. Can i file Affidavit from Lucknow or have to go to Rajasthan ?

  148. GAURAV MISHRA March 2, 2014 at 11:50 pm #

    sir i want to correction in my spelling name . how it is possible
    i completed my and my spelling misstake is gauraw v is replace by w in 10 th marksheet do to miss print .
    give me suggest it is correct idea to change spelling or not.

  149. prabhu March 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

    Sir ,

    I want to change the spelling of son’s name (Dyan to Dhyan) . He is 3 and half years old. I had mis-spelled the name while filling the name details in hospital during his birth and it reflected in the birth certificate. So kindly tell me the procedure.

    Thanks in advance

  150. vinod kumar March 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

    i want to change my surname in all my educational documents indentity froof/addres proof as well as School / adaar,birth certificate, etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id.

    Thanking You


  151. vinod kumar March 6, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

    i want to change my surname in all my educational documents indentity froof/addres proof as well as School / Birth certificate, adaar, etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id.

    Thanking You

  152. vinod kumar March 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

    Sir my name school certificate is vinod in records . I want it to be change vinod kumar. Is name ad a kumar ,it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id.

    Thanking You

  153. Soan Dza March 6, 2014 at 6:11 pm #


    I want to edit my birthday certificate is it possible? coz i spoke to someone who is working for govement sector. he was saying its not possible once the birth certificate issued cannot be change or edit. my birth place is karwar, karnataka i want to add my surname after my name which is not mentioned on my birth certificate.

  154. gowri k acharya March 8, 2014 at 1:48 am #

    i would like to change my name, but i am still pursuing engineering 3rd year, how can i change my name and i want to change my name in all the certificates,
    plz reply

  155. Mridula Agarwal March 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

    Sir is it possible to change the name of the deceased person.
    If yes then what is the format of the affidavit & newspaper advertisement ,please provide me with the same.

  156. Ayush Agarwal March 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

    I am a student of class IX of CBSE. My father wants to change my name…. Please suggest me some initial steps to change the name.

  157. Raj kumar koiri March 10, 2014 at 8:19 pm #

    Dear sir,
    My name is Raj kumar koir and Father’s name Sita koiri. I want to change surname in both. I m govt employee .Will it possible to change surname in my name and father’s simultaneously. Plz help me through mail id.
    My contact no is 9771296059.

  158. Shakeer Tak March 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

    After following the above procedure how can I change my name in 10th, 12th, D.Pharma’s certificate,

    Driving Licences, Passport and Voter Id etc…

    Is that possible change the name in above document.

    plz help me how can i change my name in my document as soon as possible.


    Shakeer Tak

  159. sam March 11, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

    i want to change my name in all my educational documents identity froof/address proof as well as School/college certificate,pan, adaar, voter id, dl, rc etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id. ??? can i apply my changed name in mba admission???

  160. sam March 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

    i want to change my name in all my educational documents indentity froof/addres proof as well as School/college certificate,pan, adaar, voter id, dl, rc etc., is it possible and let me know the procedures in my mail Id. ??? can i apply my changed name in mba admission????

  161. Sreelekha March 12, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    Kindly advise how to change name of My daughter. she is studying in 4th standard. her name is Adithya. we want to change adithi. we got Adhar card

  162. indrani mukherjee March 13, 2014 at 1:40 pm #


    I have been married for last 6 yrs, but retained my maiden name in all my documents. Moreover last year my husband changed his prevailing surname to his forefather’s surname- affidavit was done and accordingly newspaper ads published. Also as last year my son was born, so accordingly in his birth certificate, my husband’s and thereby my surname was as per the new surname.
    Now my husband has applied for change of surname in his passport and I’m also planning to apply for name change in my passport.
    But as I found for documents required for name change due to marriage- marriage certificate/affidavit to be submitted, so in marriage certificate my husband’s old surname is present. Is there any way to change that?
    Also, will it be a problem in future if I retain my maiden surname in all documents including passport with spouse name mentioned, but in my son’s birth certificate it shows my name as maiden name plus husband’s surname?

    Please advise.

  163. indrani mukherjee March 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm #


    In addition to my previous queries, I and my husband jointly own a flat and in our purchase agreement and therefore all property/ Assessment tax related papers are carrying my husband’s old surname. Also our home loan has the documents carrying old surname.

    Is there any procedure to change the names in Mutation certificate?

  164. mayil March 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm #


    My name is mayil vahanan. All my documents contains this name only. But in my DOB Ceritifcate its mail vaganan. Is it affect to get my passport?

    please reply.

  165. Ekta sharma March 15, 2014 at 11:45 am #

    hi, thanku for the useful information
    But I’ve a doubt…my name Ankesh Bharti in all my documents itz vry irritating ….nw i persuing BBA m in first year and i just wnna change my name in every document even also in 10th n 12th marksheets,adhar card,voter id , diploma etc…. As Ankesh Bharti to Devika Sharma will u plz guide me in this regards
    Plz sir tell me the whole procedure,time n expanse for that plz tell me on my Id…

Leave a Reply