How to get your name change certificate in India? (5 easy steps)

Changing your name in India is no more a troublesome process. Till some time back people used to shudder just by thinking about the hassles that are associated with the process. If you are aware of the basic steps that you have to follow then I believe changing your name is not a big deal!

First of all let me make you aware that the whole procedure is a bit time consuming; it might take up to 6 months. Also quite a lot of travelling is required to local offices. So if you are absolutely sure about changing your identity then here are the steps you have to go through:


Step 1

Go to the local Notary and make an affidavit. Get it duly signed and attested by a First class magistrate in your area. Give a valid reason as to why you want to change your name. A lawyer will help you drafting the letter. They are aware of the legalities and formalities involved and hence are best suited to help you in the process.

Step 2

Write down all your personal details like your old name, your new name, your Father’s name, your permanent address and the name of your employer on a blank sheet of paper. Sign the paper in front of two witnesses and ask them to sign it as well. It is advisable to make a few copies of the signed paper and keep the original one with you very carefully. This forms to be an important part in the process and again a lawyer is the person who will guide you to complete this formality as required by the government.

Step 3

Your next step will be to publish a statement in one of your local newspapers declaring that you are changing your name. A standard format is always available at the local newspaper office. If you are not sure about the format, take the help of your lawyer. He/she will draft the publication as per norms. Don’t forget to keep a copy of the original advertisement for future reference.

Step 4

Now you have to send certain documents to “Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, (Your State). The documents that you will have to send are the original advertisement published in the newspaper, original declaration statement, attested affidavit and 2 passport size photographs. You can either send these in person or by registered post. If you are not sure, take legal help. A lawyer will guide you by helping you to complete the formalities.

Step 5

Get the copies of the official gazette in which your statement of changing your name has been published. This gazette copy will act as a proof of your new identity in the future whenever you need.

Throughout the process, you will need legal help, so seek the help of a legal counselor. He/she will not only make the process for you easier but will also ensure that the process is completed seamlessly. For them it is easy as they know all the legalities involved. Their involvement will mean some expenses for you but then it is best to invest some money to get things done.

Note: The original copy of the Gazette notification regarding your name change will act as your name change certificate.

43 Responses to How to get your name change certificate in India? (5 easy steps)

  1. manjula May 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

    i want to change my name in certificates plese send procedure for name change in certificates

  2. Vishnu July 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

    I want to go for a name change… so is this a easy procedure, if yes how, once i complete all the steps as mentioned above how to change the same in my Voter card, PAN Card , Adhaar card and also in the passport….

    • admin July 26, 2013 at 11:21 am #

      To change your name on any cards you need to provide copies of affidavit of name change, newspaper publication and gazette notification, the authorities may also ask you to verify all your documents from a Gazetted Officer with stamp… that’s all…

      • raja April 20, 2016 at 8:08 pm #

        Can you help me to change my name

      • Mantosh December 23, 2016 at 9:57 am #

        My no. 8468991741

      • Karan Mishra May 4, 2017 at 11:59 am #

        I already done all procedure of name change and still get notification on 29th April in Controller Publication so now what i do for change name in my PAN,DL,Voter ID Etc.. also How Can i get Gazette certificate… I m in trouble now please give some suggestion,

    • SACHIN GM August 11, 2013 at 1:25 am #

      i want to change my name in certificates plese send procedure for name change in certificates

      I want to go for a name change… so is this a easy procedure, if yes how, once i complete all the steps as mentioned above how to change the same in my Voter card, PAN Card , Adhaar card and also in the passport….

  3. vimal August 6, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

    i want to change my name in education certificates plese send procedure for name change in education certificates , Pan Card


  4. veeralakshmi August 30, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

    Hi, I am living in Netherlands now I would like to change my name legally in India.As a NRI,what are the procedures to be followed to change my name?. Also do i need to submit affidavit in a stamp paper or a plain paper? Please help me.

  5. Deepak September 18, 2013 at 8:51 am #

    Hi Sir…
    I m having problem with my surname. I dont have My surname in any of my father also dont have surname in his documents.
    Hw Could i use a surname in my passport.
    Please suggest…

    • Siddique Abd Al Sami September 30, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

      Make an Annexure E for passport along with previous name and new name i.e. with surname with proof of address on the new name.

  6. Bolar September 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

    My Name Bolar i want to change my name in education certificates Pan Card and All Documents plese send procedure for name change in education certificates….

  7. rahul October 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

    i want to add my surname to my name , so i have to go through the same procedure ??

  8. Manjeet Singh November 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

    I want to change my name in education certificates please send procedure for name change in education certificates.

  9. kuldeep j.d November 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

    Hi this is Kuldeep James Das here. I have a first class magistrate certificate, I have just added a middle name as James and with every documents. I want this to be the same. So what is the first step I have to do?

    How am i supposed to be doing it?

    Please let me known as soon as possible in my mail id. I would be very much happy and be grateful to you..
    yours faithfully, Kuldeep.

  10. prashant December 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

    i never like my name ‘prashant kumar’ I want to change it into only ‘siwa’
    plz hlp me.
    i’m from patna, bihar
    contact me @ +918083735807

    • Rahul October 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm #

      siwa does not look nice, it would look as if you are from siwan; instead change your name to jiwa

  11. Dinesh December 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

    Hi, I would like to change the name of my 5 yrs old son. He is currently studying in a pre-school. I want his name change in his birth certificate. Can you please let me know if I will have to follow the exact same procedure for him too as he is not yet entered in primary school?

  12. ramesh January 20, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

    I want to change my name in education certificates please send procedure for name change in education certificates.

  13. SINDHU R S February 20, 2014 at 11:44 am #

    I want to change my name to Nasiya Nissar. The form store persons says they need caste certificate from Ponnani and residing certificte from village officer

  14. Nagender Thodetti March 11, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

    Sir ,
    My name is NAGENDER THODETTI and I am working in central government organization .For passport application I have to submit my DOB certificate copy, but on which my name is written as NAGENDHRA THODETTI. Except on DOB certificate, on every certificate from matriculation to post graduate certificates , on ration card , voter id etc.,, and even on my ID card given by my organization, it is written as NAGENDER T (and full name NAGENDER THODETTI wherever required ). Since there is a change in my first name in DOB certificate , what I am supposed to do . Since I am central gov officer , do i have to change it by giving gazzete notification or any other procedure is there . Please help me . Waiting for your reply,

    With regards,
    Nagender T

  15. Neetika May 10, 2014 at 1:29 am #

    I hav my first name on all my documents. But I need to use my husband’d surname in all my identity proof like PAN Card, voter card, passport, Bank account etc.. Please let me how to tackle this situation and what document I can produce to get it done.

    • Rahul October 12, 2016 at 6:40 pm #

      use your original name for all practical and official purposes; for casual puposes like email, facebook, orkut, google, whatsapp, etc you may use the changed name with your husband’s surname

  16. Abhisek May 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

    my old name Nagajotheeswaran and my new name Abhisek to change in Gazette
    certificate to change in my school and college will old name please help me for change my college certificate how to change please send IDEA….
    for contact :
    [email protected]
    please help me any time contact me…..

    • rajesh May 12, 2016 at 9:22 am #

      i have changed my surname
      i want to attained central govt. psu interview
      what are the document required plzz sugest me.

  17. ARANDEEP April 21, 2015 at 7:45 am #


  18. Ramu June 22, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

    My name is D.RAMULU but my certificate names is printed G.RAMULU
    I want to change my name. how to procced,i am fully confuuzed pls help me???

  19. Vinod Shimpi September 26, 2015 at 2:47 pm #

    Dear Sir,
    How to obtain copy of the gazette for my name change. i have change my surname in 2006 Pls guid in this matter …

    Vinod Baviskar

  20. mangilal dodwadriya October 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

    I want to change my name in education certificates please send procedure for name change in education certificates.

  21. LAKSHMI .K December 29, 2015 at 1:05 pm #

    i want to change my name in education certificates please send procedure for name change in education certificates ,

  22. Ramesh January 8, 2016 at 11:25 am #

    Hello sir…..
    I ramesh. .I want to change my wife name.. As she was working employee in tsrtc as a conductor…
    And as well as in her all studied certificates ..
    At present she was studying in b.ed with doing job…..
    So please kindly send me an easy way to change her name to my email

  23. Priti February 20, 2016 at 6:15 pm #

    I want my name to be changed completely and need to know the duration of the complete procedure with approximate cost. I want all my certificates and marksheets with my new identity completely.
    Please guide for the duration and expenses.

  24. nitan kumar February 28, 2016 at 12:35 pm #

    Sir I want to change my name please send me procedure name change.

  25. Prakashkumar Prajapati May 19, 2016 at 1:52 pm #

    Hello sir,

    I am Prakashkumar Prajapati. Sir my question is that My father’s name is Natvarbhai in him all ID cards like election id, PAN card, School living certificate etc. but problem is that in my All identity card my father’s name is Natubhai (in school living certificate,Adhar card,election Id etc.) so how to correct this mistake ??? please sir suggest to me. till waiting for your reply.

    With Regards,

    Prakashkumar Prajapati

  26. Tayyab Hashmi July 13, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

    Hello My name is Mohd Tayyab and i want to change it by Samir Hashmi also let me know how can i change my name in old documents as i have graduation certificates vehicle rc etc please reply at [email protected]

  27. chary July 26, 2016 at 7:47 pm #

    My baby was borne at hyd in hospital nov4 2010 on the time hospital on the time we put name a of “some thing” while we discharged from there.right she studying 1st stander ed “GHMC govt telangana” were issued a certificate as what we put a name in hospital. actually according to almanac the different was.but we want the second name what is to change name GHMC govt telangana was issued in certificate.already we applied through E-seva but it was rejected by GHMC. on the time they suggested me that you can change the through GOVTprinting PRESS it is located at saidabad. i consult them also they given one application said that go and consult filling the application certain MRO at your region.after that i went and explained completely to our MRO 20/05/2016 but he said that i don’t know what is process of the name change in certificates. how can i? right now having certificates that are:- 1.affidavit through legal officer (lawyer) certificate of baby LKG,UKG. 3. adhaar card.4.gagited signs form two govt Employs

  28. Pradeep August 17, 2016 at 12:03 am #

    My name is L. Gift Pradeep.I’m 18 years old. I would like to remove the word “Gift” from my name.
    please explain the procedure elabroately with all the documents and certificates required in the process and the people to be consulted.
    please help me. You can also advice me on phone: 8121936776

  29. Srilekha asaithambi December 3, 2016 at 10:46 am #

    I was born in 30.08.1996. My municipal authority provided my dob certificate without my name. Now i need to apply for passport. How can i get my dob clearance. Tell me some ways

  30. PALLAVI March 5, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

    My old name is PALLAVI JAYATHIRTHA.but I want to change my name
    My New Name is Bhoomi Jayathirtha.i want to change my education certificate in a new name and also experience certificate also.please respond to my email. ID

    Please help me
    pallavijayathirtha1708 at

  31. nagalakshmi rathod April 28, 2017 at 8:49 am #

    I would like to change my in all my educational certificates……. I’m doing MBBS now but I don’t like my name so I want to change
    … Please help me out

  32. PRATEEK May 17, 2017 at 1:52 pm #

    Hello sir, my surname in birth certificate and marksheets are different. i want to change that. what is the procedure ?

  33. Vanshita June 5, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

    I have successfully changed my name through legal formalities from Devender Kanwar to Vanshita Shekhawat. I am a graduate but all my educational certificates have my old name will it be a problem if I go for masters with my new name. Because my all other educational certificates can’t be changed. What should I do??

  34. Saeed Birajdar September 3, 2017 at 10:27 am #

    I dont like my name I want change my name my contact no. 7972306714 please help me

Leave a Reply