How to change your name on your School and College Certificates in India? – Answered

Legal information to help you to change your name in School and College Certificates in India!

Changing your name in a Degree or Diploma or any other college certificate within India, is a long and tedious process. So don’t go for it unless you really have a strong reason to change your name. Be completely sure that you want to be a new person; after all you are going to change the name you have been using since birth! This article will help you to be thorough about the issues that are involved in changing your name in your college certificate. Different colleges or high schools have different ways to issues certificates, so it is advisable to consult your college authorities about the formalities.

To begin with it is better to be familiar with the legal hassles that most of you are scared of:

1) Affidavit

Getting an affidavit done is the most vital part of name changing. For that you have to go to your local notary and make an affidavit about your name change. Here you have to provide a proper reason as to why you want to change your name. For example in case of women it is marriage. One of my friends changed his name because it was too difficult to pronounce. After making the affidavit, make a couple of copies and keep the original one very carefully. I will advice to you is save it in your computer or keep a soft copy in your email. It is always better to have a back up.

2) Newspaper publication

Your next step will be to publish your name change in the newspaper. There is particular format which is available in any newspaper office. It is better to publish in any of your local dailies as it is often read by the most of the local people. Never forget to keep copies of it.

3) Gazette Notification

After your new name is published in the newspaper your name has to be notified in the official gazette. Be prepared for a good amount of travelling and phone calls. Go to your local press office and get a copy of ‘deed changing surname form’ and fill it.

Having done this you have to go through the process of verification. Get the following documents ready to send to the Secretary, Department of Commerce and Transport.

1. A letter to the secretary stating that you want to change your name and request him/her to allow you to do that.

2. The ‘deed changing surname form’

3. At least 2 copies of local newspaper which published your name.

4. Attested copy of the affidavit.

5. A copy of your present identity (PAN card, voter ID card, Passport etc).

Don’t forget to keep both soft and hard copies of all the documents regarding your name change. Wait! That is not all.

You will get reply from the secretary, which you will show to the local gazette office. Pay the amount for publishing and wait for it to appear in the newspaper. Finally you are done with the entire process. Now you need to produce these documents to your college in order to change your name in the college certificate. Collect all the documents and keep them in a separate folder. Make at least 2/3 copies of all the documents and notify your college authority that you have changed your name. It is better to visit the college registrar’s office personally.

Now all you have to do is wait for the new degree or diploma certificate showing your new name. It is not easy but then if you follow the process in the proper way, you can get it done. What is required is some patience and money to get the process completed.

55 Responses to How to change your name on your School and College Certificates in India? – Answered

  1. Rijul Savyasachin October 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

    Dear Sir,
    Please tell me how to change name on school and colledge certificate after all formalities viz news paper add, affidavit, certification done through court.

    • Ravi chakravarty January 29, 2017 at 7:48 pm #

      No. sir
      not know anything about it, so i donot now what i would wish that

    • Dewangan ji April 27, 2017 at 10:42 pm #

      Mam plz shaire ur contact no. In school and collage certificate my name mention as dinku it’s my Nick name so I want to change my name into dinesh . I can change my name in ID proof bt school and clg certificate in my name not change. My contact no is 9770198310

    • ajith March 5, 2018 at 7:50 am #

      Sir my dad name Charlees my name ajith my dad name first letter c my name insiyal s changing sir plz

  2. Pearl August 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

    While I was a spinster, I have added my father’s name as sur name and have been identified as such viz. Pearline Lawrence throughout my career – School days – College days and even after settling in a job. After marriage, I have discontinued my father’s name ‘Lawrence’ and have taken up my husband’s name ‘Paulraj’ and I have been identified as
    ‘Pearline Paulraj’. This name change has been duly published in the Gezette. Right from my KG class up to my post-graduation, B.Ed and M.Ed I have been known as Pearline Lawrence and all the degree certificates carry this name. After my marriage, I have done my SLST in Madras University and M.Phil in Madurai Kamaraj University. My SLST degree carry my name as Pearline Paulraj, as furnished by me, and my M.Phil Certificate carry my name as Pearline Lawrence, as inadvertently furnished by me. What action is to be taken to rectify the anomaly and to change the name as Pearline Paulraj

    • Sathish June 27, 2017 at 1:15 pm #

      Hi friend,

      Have you changed your name? Then please let us know the process.

      Thanks in advance.

    • praveen chavan August 11, 2017 at 10:27 pm #

      Sir is it possible to cheang my name in diploma marks card and sslc mark card .

  3. anuj October 10, 2013 at 12:04 am #

    How much amount will be neede to get this process done???

    • guddu alam November 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

      I want to change my name from school and college both

  4. vikash kumar April 26, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

    I am in graduation 1st year student. i want to know . can i change my surname on those cirtificates which i already have before. 10th, and 12th cirtificates. if yes please help me. with relevent process.

  5. ROHAN MATHUR July 28, 2015 at 1:13 pm #

    I want chage a name from ROHAN MATHUR to VEDANS PRAKASH MATHUR. Can i change it? I am studying in 10th class from cbse board allahabad through sarswati vidya mandir sen. sec. school sultanpur. Please recently help me with relevent process.

  6. Amin Kachi August 3, 2015 at 9:48 pm #

    Dear sir, I want to change my surname in my school certificate but my school dept says they can’t do it as they required the appropriate documents from school ministry , please help what should I do now

  7. Meena August 19, 2015 at 8:48 am #

    Sir, My name mentioned in my School Leaving Certificate as ‘MINAXI’ While in all other documents like degree certificate, Marksheets, PAN card, Aadhar card, Voter card, ration card my name is mentioned as ‘MEENA’. Now I want to apply for Passport as Meena. So which documents will asked by Passport office?
    MEENA- Ahmedabad

  8. Sandeep October 4, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

    Dear Sir,
    I had a single name, but recently I change my name and add surname as well. I already change my name in my passport due to I was facing problem to travel outside from India. I want to know how can I change my name in my other document or its not necessary. Please advice me accordinly on urgent basis.

    Right now in all of my documents I have only single name. I did one mistake that I didnt by the more copy of the newspaper but It avaliable online.


  9. LAKSHMI .K December 29, 2015 at 12:55 pm #

    I want to change my name from school and college both

  10. Rachan January 10, 2016 at 11:41 pm #

    I am 1st year engineering student. i want to change my it possible to change my name in 12 and 10 marks card as well as university marks card…pls help me .

  11. shabbeer February 28, 2016 at 6:13 pm #

    I want a to change name from school and college

  12. Sultan sheikh April 20, 2016 at 2:09 pm #

    I want to change my living certificate name is sheikh sultan shammi sattar sheikh but my true name is sultan shammi sheikh plzzzzzz help me relevant process

  13. Pradeep Kumar Chaurasia May 14, 2016 at 10:40 am #

    How can i make correction in my name in my polytechnic certificate in up?

  14. Manoj kc June 4, 2016 at 6:42 am #

    Sir my school name is Manoj Kumar and father’s name is kashiram but I want to change the name that Manoj kunwar chhetri and father’s name is kashiram kunwar chhteri sir plz suggest me tha how can I do

  15. baby varshney July 5, 2016 at 3:57 pm #

    Sir mera name baby Varshney hair air me apni degree ki mark sheet me name change kerba salt I hu ki nahi aur yadi kerba sakti hu to kya proceeder follow hog a please suggest kere sir

  16. Justin Raj SR July 8, 2016 at 9:55 am #

    my name is Justin Raj SR ,SSLC certificate name Justin Raj SR and Plus two certificate name JUSTINRAJ SR ,i passed degree the University ask to change Plus two certificate it can be issued the certificate

  17. Raj yadav July 10, 2016 at 11:46 am #

    I am in graduation 3rd year final student i want to know .i can chenge my surname on those cirtificates which i alredy have before . 10th ,and 12th cirtificates. if yes plese help me. whith relevent process.

  18. bala August 22, 2016 at 2:37 pm #


    i have completed my degree 10 years before. i have received the certificate based on the degree such as pan card,aadar card,driving license ans passport. but sslc and +2 certifiacte name changing from other certificate. how to solve the problem. because of the reason i could not begin the master engineering program.

    tell me how to solve the problwm

  19. dr sharma August 25, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

    How to get college n school certificate after gazette notification with new change

  20. Rajesh0311 September 16, 2016 at 9:44 am #

    Please tell me how to change my father name in all my school and college certificates.

    • Rajesh0311 September 16, 2016 at 9:46 am #

      My father has updated his Name wrongly in all my school and college docs so I need to update it.

  21. Muthu P October 6, 2016 at 11:23 am #

    sir,I have been changed my name on 14 sep 2014 in Tamil nadu government gazette. after i have been changed my name in my voter id, ration card and aadhar id using my gazette notification. but i have not been changed my name in my school and college certificate. but i am waiting for teacher eligible test.can i use gazette notification xerox with my all certificate or not? Please tell me a good way sir.

  22. S Jakeer Husseen October 23, 2016 at 11:52 am #

    Hi sir my name is Shaik Jakeer Hussen. can i change my surname on those cirtificates which i already have before. 10th, and 12th cirtificates. if yes please help me. with relevent process.

  23. ChiragPatel December 26, 2016 at 11:46 am #

    Hello sir,

    I have my Gazette copy for new surname. but i m very scare for change name in my whole certificate.if suppose i go with change name procedure than is all certificate will come with duplicate symbol after procedure to change name.

    Please let me know ASAP. so i go proceed further.

    Thanks & Regard,
    Chirag Patel.

  24. Nitesh kumar December 29, 2016 at 1:50 am #

    I am graduate 3rd year student .. i want to change my surname .. in all the legal documents… School nd all clg documents… How can i do.. plz tell me

  25. Aryan Agrawal December 31, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

    I am in civil student. i want to know can i change my other name on those certificates which i already have before. 10th cirtificates. if yes please help me. with relevent process.

    • Aryan Agrawal December 31, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

      my name is shubham Tiwari change to Aryan Agrawal

  26. Gangadhar January 1, 2017 at 6:01 pm #

    Hello Sir,
    I’ve recently changed my whole name except surname through gazette.Now I’m studying BTech and need my future certificates to be on my new name.But it seems there is some long process for that.Is it necessary to change my name in 10th and Inter(11th and 12th grades)?

  27. Devraj January 2, 2017 at 7:18 pm #

    Sir , please tell me
    How to change name in my school / college

  28. Avdesh January 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

    I want change my name 10th school certificate please help me

  29. Vijayalakshmi January 26, 2017 at 7:32 am #

    Hi..I am Vijayalakshmi..I have my name in 10th certificate as G Vijayalakshmi and in my 12 th and degree certificates its Vijayalakshmi G.I want to make my me as G vijayalalshmi in all my certificates. Please suggest to me what are all th procedures I must follow to make it done.and also even my father’s name the same way G anandareddy in my 10th and anandareddy G in 12th and degree certificates. Please help me out as to how to correct both yo G Vijayalakshmi and G anandareddy.
    Please suggest..

  30. Narasimhalu February 6, 2017 at 6:17 pm #

    Dear Sir,

    There are some letters missing in my name in SSLC Transfer certificate. Please guide me along with full details. How to do with procedures

  31. Suman Banerjee February 9, 2017 at 10:58 am #

    Sir please please please mera name change karna hai mai abhi 10th class pass nahi kiya hai aur please mera change karne ka koi help kare sir please

  32. bhimashankar May 2, 2017 at 9:57 am #

    I want to change my father name from school certificate

  33. Ram May 17, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

    I want to change my surname in ssc,inter,degree & pg educational certificates. As so I have a gazzette that indicates “here after he was known as these surname”..
    But my educational certificates are in older surname..what wad the process

  34. sanju jadhaw June 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm #


  35. hafeez siddiqui June 17, 2017 at 10:19 am #

    Sir, where go to get the form like a court and tehsil.

  36. Anol June 26, 2017 at 10:54 pm #

    I am in graduation 1st year student. i want to know . can i change my surname on those cirtificates which i already have before. 10th, and 12th cirtificates. if yes please help me. with relevent process.

  37. gautam soni July 4, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

    , how can change the name in 10th 12th nd graduation , nd how much need amount to its process. i want to add my mother name with my self ,

  38. hifzur rahman July 7, 2017 at 1:13 pm #

    Hi , can I change my in all school, college certificate as well as in my job profile because I am a government employee.
    Plz help me-7050981310
    H rahman

  39. Rajeshwari Patel July 7, 2017 at 4:37 pm #

    If i have changed my name by “Gazette Notification” . Is it legal out side of India? I mean my degree certificates are with old names and my Passport is with new name. do i really have to change my name in all degree certificate? or if i attach Gazette Notification with degree certificates – with old names it will be enough while applying for Permanent resident Visa of any country or finding and doing Job in Software company?

    Also if i remove Middle name and keep only first and last name is it OK? any where is it mandatory to put middle name anywhere in India or Abroad?

  40. Deepa bhatt July 12, 2017 at 5:40 pm #

    Please tell me how to change name on school and colledge certificate ……please tell me step by step…

  41. Md.Chand khan August 1, 2017 at 10:35 am #

    Sir My 10th and Intermediate Certificat and Identity Proof has name is Md. Chand Khan and my degree on Chand Samsudin Khan so any problem creating when job procees. Please Reply Quickly.

  42. Khushbu January 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm #

    Is any of the person is changed the name after completing graduation?is it possible to change the name in all documents?pls may answer this

  43. Rajkumar January 23, 2018 at 1:53 pm #

    sir my name was changed in 2010 , in my 10th and intermediate certificates are had with my old name , how to apply with my new name to govt jobs .. please tel me sir.

  44. Anil shahu February 4, 2018 at 10:22 am #

    Sir,mere dhyan na dene se meri school leaving and board certificate me surname me spelling mistakes ho gai.jab maine is process ke sabhi document taiyar kar liya,phir bhi.mujhe school and junior college me mana kiya ja rha h.please help me.

  45. Ranjan Rana February 16, 2018 at 5:44 pm #

    I have done my tenth in 2013 and twelth in 2015 .but I have some difficulties sir….
    Sir certificate,mein mera name TAHAL RANA hai lekin pan card, passbook, voter ID card, aur two wheeler handbook mein RANJAN RANA hai sir…….
    Please sir name change karwane me Meri help Kare sir
    I am waiting for your response…
    Thank you

  46. bollikonda daniel March 1, 2018 at 1:10 pm #

    Sir I am from telangana
    My surname wrongly entered in 10th ,inter ,degree records
    How correct my name in all my certificate’s
    Please help sir

  47. Chandan Kumar sutradhar March 17, 2018 at 11:53 pm #

    Sir I want to change my name from Sanda Kumar sutradhar to chandan Kumar sutradhar

Leave a Reply